12 weeks for PIP decision is it normal? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

12 weeks for PIP decision is it normal?

Jay1969
Jay1969 Community member Posts: 23 Connected
edited February 2020 in PIP, DLA, and AA
I applied for a PIP enhanced rate for my dad as he’s already getting the standard for both Daily Living and Mobility. He suffers from epilepsy, Angina, Asthma and depression. He then had a mini stroke in the middle of August 2019. I applied on the 24th August 2019 and he got his F2F on 25th November 2019. The assessor was nice and informative. DWP received the report on 12th December 2019 but there has been no decision as yet. I rang them up on 4th February 2020 but they’re telling me it can take up-to 12 weeks!!!!! The DWP also informed me that my dads claim will be backdated to 24th August 2019 if successful without me even asking her that.
I rang them again on Friday 7th 2020 and asked them for a copy of my dads report to see what the assessor has recommended. 
What I want to ask is:-
Do DWP usually go with the report?
Is it normal for them to take 12 weeks?
Why do they take that long if they’ve got the report there?

Any help will be appreciated as my dad is getting restless and it’s making him more ill..

Comments

• thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @Jay1969   Pleased to meet you.

Thank you for joining and sharing.

I am one of the team of Community Champions.  We support, advise, help members . Give information and guidance.

Please may I suggest that you speak to a member of our Team.  @poppy123456 has exceptional knowledge and expertise.

Will be able to answer any questions.

Please also can mention for your Father mentioned depression might be worth looking.

At these mental health charities .  

https://www.richmondfellowship.org.uk.

https://www.mind.org.uk.

https://www.rethink.org.

Offer help and floating support. Information on benefits advice and also well being and health.

Would advise help offer support with benefit issues and problems.

Do take clientele with additional disabilities conditions.

You can self refer or apply through GP.

Might not be in all areas.

Please if I can help with anything further please ask.

Please take care.

@thespiceman

Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,344 Disability Gamechanger
    HI and welcome,

There's no timescales for decisions, backlogs are just part of the reason a decision can be delayed. Even though they have the report, there's other claims to look through too and this causes backlogs.

Yes, they usually go with the report. Providing your dad isn't over state pension age then claiming Enhanced mobility is possible. If he's over state pension age then he won't be able to claim a higher award for mobility.

As a change of circumstances was reported then yes it will be backdated to the date he rang to report the changes, providing he's had the worsening of condition for at least 3 months before reporting the changes.

Unfortunately all he can do is wait for the decision. Hopefully not much longer.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Jay1969 Hello and welcome to the community The answers to your questions. Yes they do usually go with recommendations made in the report, it takes time as the report and all evidence go to a decision maker who then makes the decision and the decision maker will have lots of applications to deal with it could take less than 12 weeks but could also take longer. Hope you are not waiting too much longer for a decision
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Jay1969 - Welcome to the community & thank you for joining. I hope you receive a copy of your Dad's assessment report quickly, which, as has already been said, will give you an indication as to what the decision will be. I hope you've been able to reassure your Dad that unfortunately it does take time to get a decision letter, & this is quite normal. Please do keep in touch & let us know how you get on.
  • Jay1969
    Thank you everyone for the reply and I’m really grateful for you input.

My dad has just turned 50 so he’s not over the pension age and I have received a copy of his report today which recommends that he is given enhanced for both the daily living and the mobility part of the claim. I don’t know what the DWP will go with now.

The report was ACCURATE and it had everything my mom, dad and I told the assessor on the day of the F2F.

The assessor has put down that she’s a qualified nurse and that’s what I think has contributed to her giving an accurate report.
    I’ve told my dad but he’s still anxious and downhearted but when I read your input to him it has somewhat calmed him.

Once again thanks to EVERYONE for your valuable input...
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,344 Disability Gamechanger
    Despite what people say about the HCP's you do have some honest ones out there. Hopefully a decision won't be too long but it's very rare for them to go against the report.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Jay1969 - Thank you very much for letting us know about your Dad's assessment report. As Poppy says it's rare for the Decision Maker to go against the report as the assessor has actually seen your Dad. I hope this lessons your Dad's anxiety as you wait for the actual decision letter.
  • Jay1969
    My dad has always worked and the change in his daily routine is what I think has got him down. He’s always been a positive person and it has made us what we are. It has broken my heart to see him this way and the daily struggle he goes through cause he’s genuinely scared of having a seizure.
    Thank you everyone I’ll now wait for the result to come through and let you know

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.