ESA TO UC — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

ESA TO UC

Matt1402
Matt1402 Community member Posts: 11 Listener
Hello, I'm new to this group and in need of some advice. I live alone and I'm in receipt of ESA and I'm in the Support Group due to my Visual Impairment. My Girlfriend and Daughter aged nearly 2 will be moving in within the next 4 weeks so it's going to be all change benefits wise which is a pain but one I'm sure will easily be overcome once I get the hang of it all. So, I'm on ESA and my girlfriend is on Universal Credit, does she close her claim down and make a fresh joint claim with me heading the claim (I was once advised to be the Head of the claim with my partner to the claim Carers for me) Also what happens about me needing a Work Capability Assessment as I've read that I might not need one as I'm in the Support Group already, will this be carried over? Any advice that can be given will be very much appreciated and most probably be met with a couple of other questions of help amongst this process, look forward to chatting, thanks! 

Comments

• Matt1402
    My ESA is IR, I forgot to reference this as it may be required above
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Hi @Matt1402 and a warm welcome to the community.
    On UC there is no lead or head claimant like there was on legacy benefits. You'll both set up separate claims and then link them together. When she moves in she would need to go to 'report a change' and report each of the things changing (so change of address, caring for someone and living with a partner). She'll then be asked to either provide a linking code or to request a linking code which is used to join accounts with you.

When you link accounts and she reports living with a partner, be aware this will wipe everything on her current UC account. All previous statements and journal messages will be wiped so if she wants to keep anything for her records it's a good idea to take a copy before reporting living with a partner. Once the accounts are joined you'll both be asked to reconfirm all your details again. 

As long as there is no gap between your claim for ESA and claiming UC, your ESA support group status should be transferred over with you and become LCWRA on Universal Credit. If this doesn't happen it is a mistake and please don't just accept it. Sometimes UC don't pick up straight away that you already have a determined award and will ask you for fit notes from your GP. If this happens you would need tot explain you have a determined award under ESA and under regulation 19 this should be honoured on UC. If you hand in fit notes it can trigger a reassessment. 

I hope that helps a little but please don't hesitate to ask if you have more questions. :)

Community Manager
    Scope
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,333 Disability Gamechanger
    HI and welcome,

To add to the information that Adrian has already given, if part of your ESA claim is Contributions based then this will be transferred to New style ESA and you'll continue to receive the £111.65 per week from ESA (paid fortnightly) this will then be deducted £1 for £1 from your UC amount. This is because CB benefits are not part of UC.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Matt1402
    Thank you both, this is all of great help, I'll message back later as I may have another question, I'll also keep posted on how everying goes in the coming weeks! 
  • Matt1402
    Hi, while it's in my mind fresh, how should I go about starting this process, do I apply for UC and ESA will just stop or do I need to call them? Thanks
  • poppy123456
    You'll just need to claim and then ESA will just stop.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Matt1402
    Brilliant, thanks, I'll keep in touch, also just for your knowledge I'm a successful P. I. P claiment after a Tribunal hearing, its sad hearing of all the failed cases! 
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Congratulations on the tribunal win @Matt1402, glad to hear your pip is sorted.
    As Poppy said, definitely don’t close your ESA claim. Once you put in a claim for UC your ESA will end automatically.

At the moment if you’re living alone and no one is claiming carer’s allowance (or the care element of UC) for you, and your ESA is income-related, I imagine you have SDP in with your ESA which means you can’t claim UC. This will end when your partner moves in, so you’ll be able to claim. 
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • Matt1402
    Hi Adrian, thanks and yes this is all correct, I'm living alone, nobody is claiming Carers Allowance for me and I've double checked and my ESA is definately income related and SDP to. As I can't claim at present do I simply make my claim the day my girlfriend and daughter move in? Rather than beforehand (it may sound odd that we don't live together but due to personal reasons upto now that has been the case, very complicated but moving forward for the better good!) My girlfriend plans to claim Carers Allowance for me to once the above has started together. My biggest fear is losing out on money as a family once we get ticking all the Universal Credit boxes together as a family, all the advice I'm receiving is extremely appreciated! Thanks
  • Matt1402
    Hi Adrian, my appologies if I've got a bit repetitive, I've just gone back and read this full thread through again, I think all the answers are above ? 
  • poppy123456
    Yes, all the answers are in the thread, i'm glad you understand it now :)
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Wishing you all the best with it @Matt1402. :)
    Scope

• Matt1402
    Thank you all! ? Were going forward with the move on the 28th, fingers crossed all goes well! 
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    @Matt1402 Hello and welcome, I am glad you have got the answers you need and I hope the move goes well, it must be exciting time for you all starting to live as a family good luck
  • Matt1402
    Last quick question just for peace of mind as today is the day I'm stepping forward with this new format UC from ESA.. Just to refresh, my girlfriend (already claiming UC) and daughter moving in, is it me that gets the ball rolling with it all by submitting a brand new Joint Claim or does my girlfriend log into her claim first and change her status to living with partner and change address and so forth?
    I'm guessing it's me starting a brand new Joint Claim first hand but just want to be sure, thank you!
  • poppy123456
    Hi @Matt1402 and a warm welcome to the community.
    On UC there is no lead or head claimant like there was on legacy benefits. You'll both set up separate claims and then link them together. When she moves in she would need to go to 'report a change' and report each of the things changing (so change of address, caring for someone and living with a partner). She'll then be asked to either provide a linking code or to request a linking code which is used to join accounts with you.

When you link accounts and she reports living with a partner, be aware this will wipe everything on her current UC account. All previous statements and journal messages will be wiped so if she wants to keep anything for her records it's a good idea to take a copy before reporting living with a partner. Once the accounts are joined you'll both be asked to reconfirm all your details again. 

As long as there is no gap between your claim for ESA and claiming UC, your ESA support group status should be transferred over with you and become LCWRA on Universal Credit. If this doesn't happen it is a mistake and please don't just accept it. Sometimes UC don't pick up straight away that you already have a determined award and will ask you for fit notes from your GP. If this happens you would need tot explain you have a determined award under ESA and under regulation 19 this should be honoured on UC. If you hand in fit notes it can trigger a reassessment. 

I hope that helps a little but please don't hesitate to ask if you have more questions. :)

Adrian's advise here is what you need to do. Your wife needs to report a change on her UC first.
  • Matt1402
    Thanks Poppy123456, that confirmation is all I need, I'm doing it all now ?
  • Matt1402
    So, annoyingly I ask once more I appologise, once my girlfriend has reported a change on her current account, I then submit a brand new Joint Claim? Or single claim to link together? Thank you
  • poppy123456
    You will need to start your own claim and once your girlfriend has reported the changes a linking code will need to be used to link both accounts together. It will all become clear once she reports the changes. 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.