Mobility descriptors — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Mobility descriptors

Options
shnwttn
shnwttn Community member Posts: 21 Connected
Hi, I posted earlier today but it seems my post has some people confused.

I am due to be reassessed in July for PIP. I have always been awarded the Standard Rate Mobility but as the law has recently changed, from what I have read, it is likely I will be entitled to the Enhanced Rate. The reason for this is owing to the fact I suffer from PTSD which means I have adverse reactions if I come into contact with anyone I know to me and Agoraphobia which means I am unable to go outside, suffering panic attacks, vomiting, fainting and have had dissociative episodes when I have had to.

Therefore for my own circumstance I find the descriptors in the Mobility section, ambiguous especially 12. Whilst I physically can walk and move unaided, this is very much dependent on the situation. Inside my home, I am able however, outside or in a situation I’m not comfortable in, I would not be able to as I would suffer panic attacks, fainting, vomiting, dissociating etc. all of which have happened when made to leave my home.

Therefore I am confused as to what which section I should apply to my own circumstance on the PIP claim form and the likelihood of me being given the Enhanced Rate for Mobility. 

Comments

• sooze77
    sooze77 Community member Posts: 20 Courageous
    Options
    I would fill in both of the mobility sections with what you have stated, even if it means repeating yourself or overlapping information. I am guessing it wont matter where you have written the information as long as it is written down there somewhere. You will need to provide evidence from someone to support what you are saying. Nobody will be able to tell you if they think you should qualify for enhanced, each individual is different depending on the assessment and the evidence provided.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,985 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi,

Following and planning a journey will be the one you should concentrate on because this is where you'll likely score the points. This is the activity that the descriptors changed slightly because the words overwhelming psychological distress were removed.

You need to give as much information as possible about how your conditions affect you and then add a couple of real life examples of what happened the last time you attempted that activity and you need to do this for all the activities/descriptors that apply to you.

The "moving around part" of mobility PIP is unlikely to apply if you never go out because this is for physical conditions when moving around outside and not inside. Falls are part of this activity if there's a risk but because you don't go out then it's likely not going to apply to you.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @shnwttn Hello and welcome to the community I am a community champion here at scope. If you are expecting a review it will be a review form your get. The form will ask you about any changes since your last award, however you should treat it as an application giving as much detail against each descriptor about how you can/cant complete the task, giving examples of what happened last time you tried to do this. So as advised above say what happens when you try to leave the house etc. Also as above nobody can predict if you will be awarded any points or award, it is up to the decision maker once they have reviewed your assessment and all evidence submitted.   Good look for your reiew and keep us updated

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.