Disabled person's grant, my roof has fallen through — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Disabled person's grant, my roof has fallen through

nicky13
nicky13 Community member Posts: 5 Listener
Hi I am disabled on pip.My roof in the living room has fallen through and has leaked everywhere.I share the house with a lady who is on income support she has emphysema. All the dust is affecting us both. Can I get a grant to help us,also the electricity from the lights is not working because of this.would I be eligible for a disabled persons grant.thankyou.

Comments

• pink_princess
    pink_princess Community member Posts: 181 Pioneering
    Hi @nicky13

Welcome to the community ?
  • nicky13
  • steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @nicky13

Good Evening & Welcome to our Community?

I am one off the Community Champion’s here at Scope.

Sorry to hear about your current situation/problems.

Here is some info below on on Disability Grants.

https://www.scope.org.uk/advice-and-support/disabled-facilities-grant-home-adaptations/

Please please let let me know if you have any further questions??

@steve51
  • nicky13
    Many thanks Steve,I appreciate your feedback.regards,nick
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @nicky13 Welcome to the community, Im sorry to hear about your roof. Can you not claim on the house insurance ? Hope you manage to get it sorted 
  • nicky13
    It was on the insurance but they decided that roofs will no longer be covered,when 3 days earlier,they sent 2 guys to find the leak they were here for 30mins in pitch black,said they've done the job but it obviously wasn't repaired properly and must have slowly carried on leaking.The house is classed as unconventional and no insurance companies will insure these days,tried every company  but they dont want to know!
    Many thanks for your concern.I personally suffer from many illnesses and the lady who shares the place is 78 suffers from emphysema .
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @nicky13, how are things getting on?
    Scope

• nicky13
    It's not simple re house insurance or this wouldn't have been a prolonged problem.
    We started off with the whole place insured.We had a leak from the roof and 2 guys came along after we had noticed a drip.They came when it was pitch black,torrential rain and said they had patched it.
    3 days later we had the same drip occur only this time we were told by homesure, sorry we dont include roofs anymore!!!
    We then tried to get insurance with another company only to be told we are an unconventional property and no insurance will take it on.
    We are desperate for help now,so I dont know what will happen but it's a terrible situation.I need to get 3 estimates but only 1 person replied and they didnt fulfil their promise to sort it out.thanks Neiko.
  • newborn
    newborn Community member Posts: 832 Pioneering
    I haven't  read  fully, so maybe  the complications  are enough to turn insurance contract law on it's  head, but that's  unlikely,  so   I'll  post:

On the face of it nicky13, the insurers accepted  that they and  you had a contract, covering roof repair,   as evidenced by them sending 'repairers'.

They can refuse to renew on the original  terms. But they cannot   unilaterally alter the terms of the existing  contract during the agreed period of cover, normally a year.

Perhaps the  year was nearly at an end when the roof fell in, but even if it was one hour before the expiry of the policy, they are fully liable.

If the damage arose during the year, and was not remedied at once,  despite  you notifying them, they are still contractually obliged to pay out.   They cannot fail to repair properly, returning you to the position you would have been in, i.e. with a non-leaking roof.
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @nicky13, sorry to hear that this is a recurring problem and that you currently can get insured. 

Have you spoken to anyone about this?

Money Advice Service have information on this and a helpline which you can call or message. I hope they can give you further guidance.
    Scope

Brightness