Can I also claim ESA? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Can I also claim ESA?

shortyt
shortyt Community member Posts: 29 Connected
Hi at the moment I work 30 hours per week I'm currently off sick due to my back problem and my siactica when I go back to work I'm looking to reduce my hours to either 16 or 18 hours per week over three days has getting to work is getting harder for me and working five days is also difficult.i know I can claim pip can I also claim ESA if I'm working or any other benefits I currently get universal credit with me working 30 hours and know I can continue to get this but would like to know about the ESA has I have read up on this and looks like you can't work if you wish to claim this.

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,330 Disability Gamechanger
    HI and welcome,

I'm one of the community champions here on scope and i'm here to help and advise others.

Claiming PIP will totally depend on how your conditions affect you against the PIP descriptors. Not being able to work or work as many hours will not entitle you to claim PIP. It's also not about a diagnosis.

ESA. The only ESA that's possible for you to claim would be New style ESA and this is based on your NI Contributions in the previous 2 tax years. However, because you're currently working then you won't be able to claim this. If you did claim this in the future because you're unable to work then the ESA payments will be deducted £1 for £1 from your UC amount. There will be no financial advantage to claiming this and UC. The only advantage to claiming New style ESA in the future would be because it's not means tested and it pays class 1 NI Contributions.

To claim limited capability for work under UC then because you don't currently have a PIP award then you would need to be working less than 16 hours per week.

Hope this helps.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • shortyt
    shortyt Community member Posts: 29 Connected
    Thanks for your reply I know I can claim pip if I'm working or not cause I know it goes on how your life is affected by your disability.so from what I understand from your reply is if I'm claiming universal credit it's wouldn't be worth claiming ESA so if I drop my hours to 16 universal credit will just pay be more according to my income.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @shortyt Welcome to the community, I am a community champion here at scope, whether you can claim PIP will be dependant on eligibility. Your condition needs to have lasted for 3 months and likely to last for another 9 months to be eligible to apply. Once you make an application any award will be dependant on how your condition meets the criteria. You will be sent a form to complete about how your condition affects you and send in medical evidence to back this up. You will then have a f2f assessment and a report will be sent to the decision maker who will look at the report and all the evidence and make a decision if there is to be a PUP award. If you have any other queries please get in touch. 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,330 Disability Gamechanger
    shortyt said:
    Thanks for your reply I know I can claim pip if I'm working or not cause I know it goes on how your life is affected by your disability.so from what I understand from your reply is if I'm claiming universal credit it's wouldn't be worth claiming ESA so if I drop my hours to 16 universal credit will just pay be more according to my income.

That's correct regarding the PIP but if the work you do contradicts the reasons for your claim then this can go against you.

If you reduced your hours to 16 then you'll have less deductions each month. For the work capability assessment process then you'll need to work less than 16 hours per week unless you're claiming PIP.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @shortyt - Welcome to the community. I'm sorry to read about your health issues but hope the advice you have been given will be helpful if you need to reduce the number of hours you will work. Please do say if you have any other queries.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.