Reasonable adjustments — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Reasonable adjustments

Stellaod
Stellaod Community member Posts: 5 Listener
hi all, I recently had an interview and I requested reasonable adjustments. I was interviewed for the same job last year but I didn’t get it. The interview was horrendous. 5 questions with three parts each. My processing delay and dyslexia could not cope. This time I asked as a reasonable adjustment I could see the questions before I went in, and male brief notes. I felt this would put me on a level playing field with non dyslexic/ processing delayed candidates. My reqiest was agreed. However, when I turned up, EVERYONE was allowed to see and make notes for the same time! During that time I have to try very had to process the questions then recall information when others can read and write quickly. Is this unfair? I think it is the perfect example of thinking equality is about treating everyone the same!!!

Comments

• Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Stellaod, sorry to hear this! I imagine it was very frustrating to not be given a level playing field. How do you feel the interview went?
    Scope

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Stellaod and welcome. I understand your frustration and how you feel it is unfair. However you need to focus on whether the adjustment was suitable for you it was what you asked for and was granted. Would YOU have performed better if only you were given the extra time. I agree it seems they think equality is treating everyone the same. Good luck hope you get positive outcome 
  • Stellaod
    Stellaod Community member Posts: 5 Listener
    Yes. Then I would’ve been on level ground. I have to read reread and read again, process question and then try to decode. A chance to do this before the interview gives me extra time. But not I was still at a disadvantage compared to others who could read and write instantly . I didn’t get to the end of prepping the questions because it takes me ages. Other candidates were able to prep them all in the time. Anyway it’s done now.
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    We'll keep our fingers crossed for you @Stellaod! Please do let us know how you get on. :)
    Scope

Brightness