Relocating, will our benefits be effected? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Relocating, will our benefits be effected?

Pandapaws
Pandapaws Community member Posts: 489 Pioneering
Me and my husband are wanting to move house. It will be a re location to be closer to our daughter. I’m receiving enhanced Pip and ESA, will this be effected if we move?
 The area we move to will be a bit cheaper than where we live, but we’re looking for a house that’s newer and needs less work!

Also my husband health is deteriorating, and won’t be able to work much longer, he’s 60. So am wondering what he would be entitled to? We have no idea how things work! Any help would be very much appreciated thank you 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,352 Disability Gamechanger
    HI and welcome,

There isn't enough of information to be able to advise you. Do you rent or own your own home? If you rent then will you need to claim for help with the rent?

I'm assuming that because you're husband works then your ESA is Contributions based and not Income related, is that correct?

Your husband should speak to his employer about reasonable adjustments in the work place. He needs to tell them that he's struggling to do the hours because of his health. https://www.humanrightscommission.vic.gov.au/the-workplace/employer-responsibilities/reasonable-adjustments-in-employment

If once he's spoken to his employer he's still unable to work then he will need to claim SSP from his employer for 28 weeks and he'll need a fit note from his GP to be able to do this. https://www.gov.uk/statutory-sick-pay

Once the SSP has ended he maybe able to claim New style ESA depending on his NI contributions in the years April 2017 to March 2019.

Once you've answered the above questions i'll be able to help you further.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Pandapaws
    Hi,
    sorry for not giving all the i for you need, have cog fog.
    we own our house, have a small amount of mortgage to clear. My husband has worked all his life, as have I until 6 years ago becoming ill. My esa is contributions based 
  • poppy123456
    Thanks for answering those questions.

If you move house your PIP and ESA will not be affected because they are not means tested. It will just be a simple change of address with DWP.

If your husband claims SSP for 28 weeks then you maybe able to claim Universal Credit but because it's means tested you'll need to claim as a couple. Whether you're entitled to anything will depend on your circumstances.

Savings of more than £6,000 and up to £15,999 will affect the amount you can claim by £4.35 per month for every £250 over that amount. Savings of more than £16,000 and you won't be entitled to anything. Any pensions you have will be classed as income for UC and reduce it £1 for £1.

If he does claim SSP then i'd advise you to speak to an advice agency near you for a full benefits check or you can put all your details into a benefits calculator and it will tell you what you're entitled to, if anything. https://www.entitledto.co.uk/

They are only as accurate as the details you put into to them so please be aware of that.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Pandapaws
    Thank you so much for all the help and information. My hubby understands it more than I do! But thank you 
  • Pandapaws
    Hi,
    just one more question! Sorry as you can probably tell I’m totally clueless!
    is that just ESA that would be effected if we did have savings from the sale of the house ? Or will it effect PIP too
  • poppy123456
    PIP and ESA won't be affected because they are not means tested because your ESA is Contributions based. If you both claimed Universal credit this is means tested and savings will affect it, as explained above.
  • Pandapaws
    ahh right, thank you for explaining that I was getting in a right muddle and getting stressed thinking we can’t move! 
    Thank you 
  • poppy123456
    You're welcome. If you have any other questions please just ask. :)
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Pandapaws - Welcome to the community. I hope you find a lovely house near your daughter, & that your move goes smoothly. As Poppy says, do say if you have any other questions. :)
  • Pandapaws
    Aww thank you so much ! 
    It’s going to be a re location. Our daughter lives in Chester so we’re looking at North Wales. We haven’t been there yet, but are going up in June to have a good look around. 
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    @Pandapaws Hello and welcome to the community, I am a community champion here at scope. Exciting times ahead for your family, I hope you find a nice house and enjoy being closer to your daughter. 
  • Ails
    Ails Community member Posts: 2,256 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Pandapaws and welcome to the Community.  It is nice to meet you.  I wish you well in your move to North Wales.  It is lovely there!  I'm sure you will be really happy living near to your daughter.  If there is anything further we can help/support you with then please just let us know.  All the best.  
    Winner of the Scope New Volunteer Award 2019.   :)
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Welcome to the community @Pandapaws. :)
    Scope

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.