Do I qualify for free prescriptions — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Do I qualify for free prescriptions

LT68
LT68 Community member Posts: 5 Listener
Hi all, I’ve just started receiving Carer’s allowance £264.20 and Universal credit £191.34 each month,  am I also,entitled to free prescriptions or do I need to pay, thanks 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,358 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi and welcome,

You qualify if, on the date you claim help with health costs:

a) you receive Universal Credit and either had no earnings or had net earnings of £435 or less in your last Universal Credit assessment period

or

b) you receive Universal Credit, which includes an element for a child, or you (or your partner) had limited capability for work (LCW) or limited capability for work and work-related activity (LCWRA), and you either had no earnings or net earnings of £935 or less in your last Universal Credit assessment period

Note: If you're part of a couple, the net earning threshold applies to your combined net earnings.

You should present a copy of your Universal Credit award notice to prove your entitlement. You'll need to have met the eligibility criteria in the last completed Universal Credit assessment period before your health costs arose.

See link for confirmation. https://www.nhs.uk/using-the-nhs/help-with-health-costs/help-with-health-costs-for-people-getting-universal-credit/

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • LT68
    Thanks Poppy, I read that and still don’t understand If I pay for prescriptions or not.
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Welcome to the community @LT68

If you are unsure, you can ring 0300 330 1343 and they should be able to let you know if you are eligible or not. :) 
    Scope

• LT68
    Ok thank you Chloe
  • poppy123456
    It will depend on your circumstances during your UC assessment period in which you claim the prescription in.

Do you work at all? if you don't and you don't receive any earnings at all during your assessment period then you will qualify for free prescriptions. Any month that you have earnings of more than £435 then you won't be entitled to free prescriptions.

This applies if you don't have any dependent children on your UC claim. If you have dependent children on your claim then the earnings allowed will be £935 per assessment period.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • LT68
    I don’t work, I care for my dad.  I only get universal credit and Carer’s allowance.
  • poppy123456
    Then you will qualify for free prescriptions.
  • LT68
    Thank you Poppy
  • poppy123456
    You're welcome.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.