Blue badge assessment — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Blue badge assessment

tkliciuos
tkliciuos Community member Posts: 1 Listener
My disabled son was awarded 4 points for moving around and 12 points for planning and following a journey PIP-higher mobility rate.I applied for a blue badge from my local council instead for the badge to be issued I was directed to the assessor for assessment. Please does anyone know if I can use the new legislation that about hidden disability instead to argue this? The new legislation states that "scored 10 points in the ‘planning and following journeys’ area of your PIP assessment automatically entitles you to a blue badge". My son has a permanent and substantial disability. Must I take him to the assessment?

Comments

• 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,367 Disability Gamechanger
    Sadly you need to score exactly 10 points i.e. meet descriptor (e) “Cannot undertake any journey because it would cause overwhelming psychological distress to the claimant.” to be automatically eligible for a Blue Badge.

If you score 12 you are not automatically eligible. I am in the same position as you.

It is still worth applying for a Blue Badge but you will have to go through the assessment process.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,334 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

Enhanced mobility scoring 12 points for following and planning a journey doesn't automatically entitle your son to a blue badge. One of the criteria is you need to score 10 points for descriptor E. Or,
    • cannot undertake a journey without there being a risk of serious harm to their health or safety or that of any other person (such as young children with autism)
    • cannot undertake a journey without it causing them very considerable psychological distress

As he doesn't automatically qualify then yes an assessment will be needed.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Welcome to the community @tkliciuos! I hope other members have been able to answer your question. But please do ask if there is anything else we can do. :)
    Scope

• skullcap
    skullcap Posts: 169 Courageous
    Not too sure that everybody that doesn't have an automatic entitlement for a Blue Badge must have an assessment.
    Many of my friends who don't have PIP have managed to get one that was based entirely on what was put on the application form. 
    I've just remembered that my wife needs a new one, it ran out last August. Her previous one issued in August 2016 was given to her with no issues or assessment. Although she no longer does much in the way of driving I suppose she should have it renewed so as to use it when she goes out with our children. We will see what happens, but to be honest she will not want to progress it if she has to be tested. Took me 10 years to convince her to claim Attendance Allowance!!

Brightness