Alcohol and a broken iPad — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Alcohol and a broken iPad

66Mustang
66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,368 Disability Gamechanger
An unfortunate day as I broke my iPad :(:/ I’ve had it 3 years now and it’s been used and abused every day so it has lasted well I’d say. 

About a year ago I was drinking a lot of alcohol and I wanted to cut down so I opened a savings account and every night that I didn’t drink alcohol I put the money into the savings account that I would have otherwise spent on alcohol.

It’s now up to £550 so with the money I think I am going to treat myself to a new device. :)

Excuse my ramblings just thought I’d share this as for me it is an achievement. :)

Comments

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,521 Disability Gamechanger
    Well done and enjoy your new ipad
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• 66Mustang
    Thanks Woodbine :)
  • Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    Might be worth getting a shock proof case too! :)
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • 66Mustang
  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @66Mustang   Congratulations well done to you for doing that, people do not realise that by absenteeism is an important part of health.

Addiction blighted  my life and hate to see any one walk a mile in my shoes and not doing anything about it.

If I can ever help with anything please contact me as lot of experience and knowledge.

If you feel the need the itch, one other point I have saved lot more money since stopping.

A bit of advice if you do not mind me saying. Went to Curry's for a laptop got a deal lots of discounts and offers at the moment.

Wish you the best .

Please take care.

@thespiceman

Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,359 Disability Gamechanger
    I love this! Congratulations! enjoy that mew ipad, you deserve it :)
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • 66Mustang
    Thanks for the kind posts Spiceman and Poppy :)

I have looked on Currys and they have some really good deals! Just trying to decide now whether I want a laptop or another iPad!

I am still drinking a little bit - maybe 1-2 drinks before going to bed - but before I was drinking a lot more. Always room for improvement I guess.
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    This is great @66Mustang! You'll have to let us know what you go for! :)
    Scope

• 66Mustang
    edited February 2020
    Thanks Chloe :):)

Yes I will let you know!
  • OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,586 Disability Gamechanger
    66Mustang said:

I have looked on Currys and they have some really good deals! Just trying to decide now whether I want a laptop or another iPad!
    Laptops are ending up more & more like iPads these days!

My laptop is on it's last legs and I've been looking at replacements to buy with PIP back-payment (IF I get it lol) but been disappointed with them so far...no CD drives, no 'mouse' buttons, battery life doesn't seem any better, generally the screens are smaller these days...and they seem to cost twice as much as in 2013 when I bought this one.  That's progress I suppose! :D  

I'm not interested in an iPad though, I prefer physical buttons, the large screen, a reasonable speaker system and the endlessly adjustable screen tilt.  Each to their own. :)
  • 66Mustang
    All very true OverlyAnxious. There are still some bargains around though if you don’t mind something basic, depends what specs you need I guess - I’m just after something quite simple.

I like my iPad but do miss the physical keyboard and compatibility that you get with a proper computer!

Personally I have gone through multiple phases of having either a tablet or a laptop and whenever I get one I always miss the other one! 
  • brujah81
    brujah81 Community member Posts: 56 Courageous
    Which Ipad did you go for? how big was the "hard drive"?
  • 66Mustang
    I haven’t purchased it yet. I’m still using my broken one! Still deciding whether to get a laptop or another iPad. I’m really bad at spending money!!!

I’ll likely go for the lowest storage option as I don’t use that much of it really. I’ve had no issues with my current iPad and that has a small 16GB.
  • brujah81
    I have a 128gb one but i watch alot of episodes on Netflix etc and download them via Netflix and Amazon as its easier to watch for me as i travel to see my nan often in the car and i can watch them whilst travelling.
  • 66Mustang
    edited February 2020
    That makes sense as videos take up a lot of storage! I only really use mine for browsing the internet and posting on forums etc.
  • brujah81
    i have amazon music and most of my music is downloaded from there too..
    If your only using it for browsing and posting its pointless spending out big money.
    There are alot of small netbooks or tablets that fold over with keyboards at the moment.. i dont know what battery life is like.. that is one good thing i REALLY like about IPads.. the battery life wins over pretty much every thing else out there..

Kelly x
  • 66Mustang
    Just an update

I can't believe it's taken me two months to make a decision! Today I took delivery of a new MacBook Air. Yes it was more expensive than what I was planning on buying, but a family member very kindly helped me out with the purchase.

I am really happy with it :)

Brightness