What can they claim? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

What can they claim?

Darrel
Darrel Community member Posts: 1 Listener
I am supporting two people one due to pressure to look for work has not claimed any benefits since loosing their job. I am now looking on what and how they can apply for IE PIP and JSA but the latter would be universal credit. 

The other one is wishing to retire what can the claim?

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,333 Disability Gamechanger
    HI and welcome,

It's extremely difficult to give information and benefit advice to a 3rd party but he's a quick guide. They both should really get face to face advice from an advice agency near them.

Person 1. It will depend on the reasons why they lost their job because they could be sanctioned for up to 26 weeks, which means they won't be able to claim any benefits, including Contributions based benefits.

If they have a limited capability for work then claiming New style ESA will depend on their NI Contributions in the tax years April 2017 to March 2019 and they will need a fit note from their GP.

If they are looking for work the it will be New style JSA if they've paid enough NI Contributions in the years stated above.

If they haven't paid enough NI Contributions then claiming UC will depend on their circumstances. Saving/capital and living with a partner that works. UC is a means tested benefit and if they live with a partner then they will need to claim as a couple. If they have a limited capability for work then they will need a fit note from their GP t start this process off when they claim. Any wages they maybe owed from their employer will affect any UC they are entitled to if they claim before they receive their final pay and will reduce their UC by 63%.

PIP will depend how their conditions affect their ability to carry out daily activity based on the PIP descriptors. It's not awarded based on a diagnosis. Evidence will be needed to support their claim and a face to face assessment is most likely. A successful claim could take several months or more.

Person 2. You say they wish to retire? If you mean early retirement then it will depend on their circumstances and reason for not looking for work. If they are state pension age and above then they should be claiming their state pension.

As advised, it's extremely difficult to give advice here and face to face advice is needed.

Hope this helps give you some idea.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Ails
    Ails Community member Posts: 2,256 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @darrell and welcome to the Community.  It is nice to meet you.  I hope you found @poppy123456 above advice and information to be helpful to you and your 2 friends.  If we can be of any further help to you then please just ask.  All the best.  :smile:
    Winner of the Scope New Volunteer Award 2019.   :)
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @darrell Hello and welcome to the community, I am  glad you have been given some advice it is a lot to take in and hope you get the answers you are looking for 
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @darrell - Welcome to the community from me too. Thank you for joining, as I see Poppy has been giving you some guidance in relation to these 2 people. To find advice local to them, this link might be helpful:

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.