Who thinks of giving up the claim when PIP take weeks to even acknowledge the claim you have put in? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Who thinks of giving up the claim when PIP take weeks to even acknowledge the claim you have put in?

Options
Jay1969
Jay1969 Community member Posts: 23 Connected
How many of you think of giving up when you apply for PIP then have a F2F, then the Mandatory Reconsideration and finally the appeal...
Do you think it’s harsh or fair the way DWP handle claims or change of circumstances applications???

Who thinks of giving up the claim when PIP take weeks to even acknowledge the claim you have put in? 11 votes

Yes... I want to give up the claim when refused
36%
susan48ToffeeOverlyAnxiousskullcap 4 votes
No... I want to carry on the claim
63%
[Deleted User]woodbineMsbettyboop66MustangavakarlssonJay1969Mickyjim 7 votes
Not sure.. Never been in that situation
0%
Hate it.....
0%

Comments

• skullcap
    skullcap Posts: 169 Courageous
    Options
    At 70 I have already decided that if I have to have another face to face assessment I just don't have the strength and willpower to fight the DWP and it's systems again.
  • 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,604 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I think the system is intentionally wearing to go through with and they want you to give up and rely on people doing so at each stage. However, the statistics suggest that it is worth going through with the process all the way to a tribunal, if that is necessary.

You might even get lucky and not have to take it all the way to a tribunal - maybe even you will get the result you want at the first stage of the assessment. Many people in fact do but by the nature of a forum (being people with problems coming for help) we don’t hear from those people on here. 

Personally I have applied for PIP 3 times in my life and twice have had the decision I wanted at the first stage, and once had a poor initial decision overturned at the mandatory reconsideration stage, so I have never had to go all the way to the tribunal, even though I was prepared to.

All that said I agree that you shouldn’t have to “get lucky”, you should get the help you need first of all, without having to go through the rest of the rigmarole.
  • susan48
    susan48 Community member Posts: 2,221 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    The whole system does not work. It depends on the person doing assessments and the DM. Basically your life is in there hand. 
    They wear you down so much that you don’t have the strength to fight for your rights.
  • OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,616 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Yes, I've wanted to give up at each stage so far but simply can't afford to.

My health conditions have worsened considerably since starting my PIP claim - not that I can blame that all on the PIP process, but it certainly hasn't helped and I'm just stuck in limbo until I get a tribunal decision one way or the other, which may be another 6 months or more of waiting.  

If (well, when!) I fail the tribunal, I won't be able to go through more hassle of finding someone to check for errors in law and the potential of further tribunals.  I also wont be reapplying for PIP again as I just don't have any fight left now...by that point it's highly likely I'll be forced onto UC as well which I'm absolutely dreading.  I just wish I could work enough to support myself and get off benefits altogether but I know that's extremely unrealistic.  :( 

• Mickyjim
    Mickyjim Community member Posts: 11 Connected
    Options
    Unfortunately the few spoil it for the many. The system creates a lot of employment however an industry in itself.

• skullcap
    Options
    So far it's neck and neck with 50% willing to put up with the system and the same that would give up.
    Based on those figures only a half of claimants would go for a MR then to a Tribunal. This would skew the figures for those who manage to get a result at the Tribunal.
    Of those that fail to get an award 50% ask for a MR then just over 50% of those that go to appeal and win. So effectively only 25% of those that fail to get an award will go on to get it at the Tribunal. 
  • Mickyjim
    Mickyjim Community member Posts: 11 Connected
    Options
    skullcap said:
    So far it's neck and neck with 50% willing to put up with the system and the same that would give up.
    Based on those figures only a half of claimants would go for a MR then to a Tribunal. This would skew the figures for those who manage to get a result at the Tribunal.
    Of those that fail to get an award 50% ask for a MR then just over 50% of those that go to appeal and win. So effectively only 25% of those that fail to get an award will go on to get it at the Tribunal. 
    Where did you get your stats that only 50% ask for a MR then to a Tribunal and with only 8 votes it is too early to start forming any opinions, and after those votes it is 62%.to continue and 37% to quit (not sure what happened to the other 1%) Also the poll is misleading, yes and No need to be removed from the options.

I want to give up the claim when refused
    I want to carry on the claim
    Not sure.. Never been in that situation

Hate it....  (Of no use and should be excluded)

• Jay1969
    Options
    Regardless of the outcome I have recently made a very good friend who actually works for the DWP and was told that most claims fail at the first hurdle and even when you ask for a MR 60% of claims are still refused. The best way to go is keep your claim going up until the tribunal because over 65% of claims are accepted. So please don’t you all be disheartened and stop your claim because you’re entitled to it. I’m new on this forum but got some fantastic advice from the lovely people on this page, so I’m putting a little bit back because I think it will help anyone who is claiming or thinking of claiming PIP.
    Stay strong and keep going....?
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,030 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Jay1969 said:
    Regardless of the outcome I have recently made a very good friend who actually works for the DWP and was told that most claims fail at the first hurdle and even when you ask for a MR 60% of claims are still refused. The best way to go is keep your claim going up until the tribunal because over 65% of claims are accepted.
    HI,

This just goes to prove that advice from DWP their self should be taken with a very large pinch of salt because those statistics are definitely not correct.

Most claims don't fail. According to statistics 68% pf people are awarded. 85% of MR decisions remain the same, not 60%. 75% of those that appear in person who are represented at their Tribunal hearing have a decision in their favour, without representation it falls to approximately 50%. Paper based decisions are as low as about 5-8% success rate.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Jay1969
    Options
    Maybe they’re giving us wrong info on purpose...??
    Anyway as far as people have some sort of faith in DWP is all that matters...
  • skullcap
    Options
    Mickyjim said:

Where did you get your stats that only 50% ask for a MR then to a Tribunal and with only 8 votes it is too early to start forming any opinions, and after those votes it is 62%.to continue and 37% to quit (not sure what happened to the other 1%) Also the poll is misleading, yes and No need to be removed from the options.
    Possibly but the poll does show that out of the votes cast it is running pretty evenly. Based on that poll it demonstrates that 50% would not apply for a MR. So of the 50% that would take it further approx. 50% would win at a Tribunal (assuming that they are not represented which is the norm).
    Therefore of those that make a claim 50% fall by the wayside, 25% lose at a Tribunal leaving 25% that win.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.