Recently diagnosed with fibromyalgia and struggling - Page 2 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Recently diagnosed with fibromyalgia and struggling

Options
2»

Comments

• deb74
    deb74 Community member Posts: 814 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi @poppy123456. That is exactly the point I was trying to make. I spent years having symptoms before I was diagnosed. I have also got ME Fortunaley I have got a friend who also has fibro and ME and has had them for about 30 yrs. He told me that was probably causing the symptoms so at least I had an idea of what was wrong. It was such a relief to get a proper diagnosis. All I would say to people like skullcap who don't take fibro seriously is try living with it!
  • skullcap
    skullcap Posts: 169 Courageous
    Options
    Well, for a start I do take on board what people tell me. And I have not said that it is imagined. What I was saying was that having a diagnosis will not by itself give relief to the symptoms described. 
    What I was also trying to get over was that treating the symptoms is far more important than knowing the medical term attached to it. I have many things wrong with me one of which is having difficulty with walking and pain in the right hip area. I have no idea what causes it. Personally having someone tell me what is causing it is immaterial. My GP is happy to treat the symptoms with medication, painkillers, but has not pushed me to find out why it is there. Knowing why is less important than helping me walk better.
    I suppose it's each to their own. Some want a label attached to the symptoms.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,053 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    No one has said that a diagnosis will give any relief to symptoms and i'm not sure why you're thinking this. Until you've experienced what it's like to live with this condition then i don't know how you can judge. They symptoms of fibromyalgia is so huge that having a diagnosis helps you to deal with it because at least you know what exactly is wrong. Although it's not my only condition. Anyway, i won't make any further comments here because there's nothing further to add.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Firefly123
    Firefly123 Community member Posts: 530 Pioneering
    Options
    I think if you felt like you were paralysed from the neck down you would soon be wanting answers had to sit down on the ground in the pouring rain as you body could not move any further. I do not expect an answer for everything I have wrong with me but some things we definitely need to know. 
  • deb74
    deb74 Community member Posts: 814 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi @skullcap. If this is what you meant why didn't you say it and why put it in a discussion about fibromyalgia. You should have started your own discussion because you made it sound like you thought fibromyalgia was like having a headache and it would go away if you took paracetamol. 

Brightness