Hello, pension and benefits — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hello, pension and benefits

ando
ando Community member Posts: 11 Listener
Hello group I suffer with motor neurone disease I look forward to navigating this site 

Comments

• Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    Welcome to the community @ando please let us know if we can help you with anything :)
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,926 Disability Gamechanger
    HI and welcome,

I see you posted on my wall. As you're receiving a pension then you won't be entitled to any income related top up on your ESA claim because your pension will reduce it to zero.

I see that your pension is £500 per month, have you reported this pension to DWP? Any pension that's more than £85 per week will reduce the amount of Contributions based ESA that you're entitled to by 50p for every £1 over £85. Even though it's Contributions based ESA you're claiming then DWP still need to know you're receiving this.

Housing benefit, unfortunately, new claims for this are no longer possible because all areas are now a full universal credit area and it will be this you will need to claim. However, your pension will be counted as income for any Universal Credit and reduce it £1 for £1. Your ESA will also be taken from the UC amount.

You maybe entitled to a small amount each month but it will depend on your circumstances. As UC is a means tested benefit then claiming this will depend on your circumstances, such as living with partner that works, savings and capital.

Do you live alone or with a partner? Have you put your details into a benefits calculator to see what you maybe entitled to? If not then i'd advise you to do this but please be aware that they are only as accurate as the information you put into them.

Do you claim DLA or PIP?

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • ando
    Yes I get pip the full amounts
  • ando
    The DWP know exactly what I get with my national insurance number 
  • ando
    I do live on my own poppy
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,926 Disability Gamechanger
    ando said:
    The DWP know exactly what I get with my national insurance number 
    This is not correct, your NI number is not going to tell them anything that you're receiving, If you haven't told them about your pension then you will need to ring them to tell them. If you're receiving more than £85 per week it will reduce your ESA.

Put your details into a benefits calculator and it will tell you if you're entitled to any UC. If you're unable to do this then i'd advise a visit to an advice agency near you for a full benefits check.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • ando
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello and welcome to the community, its nice to see new members here. Have a look around the site and feel free to comment on any discussions 
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,098 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @ando - Welcome to the community from me too. I see that Poppy has given you lots of advice, which I'm sure will be helpful. As far as navigating the site goes, you might try the 'All groups' or 'Recent discussions' links, which can be found near the top of this page on the right.
    Please do also talk here any time, or let us know if there's anything else we might be able to support you with. Hope you have a good weekend. :)
  • Ails
    Ails Community member Posts: 2,256 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @ando and welcome to the Community.  It is nice to meet you.  I don't have much to add as you have been given great information above.  I hope you enjoy your time with us and find our site helpful.  We are a friendly, supportive bunch of people and it is a great forum to be part of.  I look forward to seeing you on here anyway and if there is anything we can do to help/support you then please just ask.  All the best.  :smile:
    Winner of the Scope New Volunteer Award 2019.   :)

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.