Knocking fags on the head........ — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Knocking fags on the head........

fatherinpain
fatherinpain Community member Posts: 177 Courageous
28 days without a  tab, do not miss them and haven’t wanted them but have a sense of boredom as they fill those 5minute voids in life. Any hints or tips 

Comments

• Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    Do you enjoy crosswords or puzzles @fatherinpain?
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • fatherinpain
  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @fatherinpain   Please suggest the following.

Some thing to consider.  Speak to your Community Health Unit the wellbeing service they provide help with further advice.

Do something relaxing as a former long history of addiction.

Been clean thirteen years used the above mentioned service to advise me further.

Used coping methods, strategies.  From rehab and mental health charities, the service mentioned.

My friend  @Ami2301 suggested puzzles I do these. Talking here nothing hard.

Word Searches, Arrow words do a sub every month . On the sofa with music calming helps to be stop thinking of drinking.

Have a look on line, I forget many have prizes attached, cash sums. 

Even after that length of time get this every day, learnt to use meditation.

Others are have a routine and ways to deal and cope.

Structured day make it yours do something to give the time to be stop the cravings. I have my interests my food and recipes plus other things I do.

I use the following Tia Chi slow movements am in pain due to addiction.

https://www.nhs.uk/live-well/excercise/guide-to-tai-chi/

Hobbies interests gardening use herbs and small pots to grow plants, calming and soothing.   Take some time to look at volunteering.

Community Volunteer unit County Council.  Has a range of services and volunteer roles. I used to volunteer in mental health charities can support me at the same time.

I would look at support groups many on line stop smoking, friendly and caring.

Often help.

One other plenty of positivity, confidence talking and being kind, good to yourself. Find lifestyle courses to improve mental health, well being and mind.

They help many are for our Community.  All free.

Something I have done a lot, helps me every day, use this forum to one other finally to volunteer.

Community Champion role I am one of the team  used this myself every day if and when helps me to stop me thinking those thoughts.

community@scope.org.uk.

Speak to the team no particular skills but good use of time.

Use your health history, abilities and skills, talents to help others but yourself. 

Please anything else wished to know or ask happy to suggest.

I know it is hard after all alcoholism and smoking are two addictions difficult to deal with daily.

When given up or being absenteeism.  No matter how long we all know can be fears of relapses. 

I would like to offer my congratulations on successful outcome , you will achieve and get there.

To give you reassurance and confidence.

Please take care.

@thespiceman

Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • pollyanna1052
    pollyanna1052 Community member Posts: 2,032 Disability Gamechanger
    Well done you! have you had the help of your GPs smoking cessation nurse?

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    @fatherinpain First of all massive congratulations, I wish I had your willpower. I managed to givr up for 4 months after help from a NHS stop smoking group, I used some sort of tablet (cant remember the name) which you wean yourself off eventually. All was going well until my husband left me and this foolishly led me back to the nicotine. As for tips of how to fill the time its about getting out of the habit of having a cig at certain times eg after a meal, before bed. Maybe replace it with having a piece of fruit or something. Have you thought of painting or drawing and I also enjoy colouring which you can now get lots of adult colouring books. Anyway good luck and keep up the fantastic work 
  • Rifi7
    Rifi7 Community member Posts: 198 Pioneering
    Oh dear you put me to shame fatherinpain. I’ve just started smoking again. I’m not a heavy smoker. Between two, sometimes three cigarettes a day, but no more than that. Like you I feel it feels a void in the day. I already do lots to keep me busy like puzzles and drawing and painting but sometimes just sitting is painful. I’m not sure whether it’s the weather or my condition is getting worse but the level of pain I’m experiencing this past week has been breathtaking. 
  • Rifi7
    Keep up the good work fatherinpain.
  • Rifi7
    How are you pollyanna1052? How are you getting on with your new carers? Did you manage to organise your respite?
  • pollyanna1052
    Hi Rifi7,

the carers are good thankyou.

And yes, I enjoyed my respite break...Came home on Wednesday. I was extremely well looked after....aren't I always...I`m so spoilt!
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,521 Disability Gamechanger
    well done keep it up, i've smoked for 50 years now and can't give up, do you read? might help fill the "boredom" factor, or you could count all the money you are saving?
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Rifi7
    I’m pleased for you Pollyanna. Did you end up going to the home you looked at? Do you have dogs or cats? Who looks after them when your away?

Can I say you bring such positive energy. Thank you. You just get on with it no matter what. I hope I can some day get to that acceptance of my situation sometime soon. I know I spend a lot of time resisting change and if I only embraced it, life would be a bit more easier for me.

• thespiceman
    edited February 2020
    Hello @woodbine   Sorry to hear having problems giving up.

The following organisation may be useful has a local support groups near to you.

https://www.ash.org.uk.

Lots on the website. 

Alcohol and smoking the most addictive. Understand wish to give you some reassurance and confidence.

Been an alcoholic thirty years.

Been clean thirteen years now, some thing so proud of so hard still though.

There are drugs on the prescription can be helpful.

Varenicline known as Champix.

Or Bupropion known as Zyban.

Speak to your GP.

Please if I can help or offer anything please ask me.

Please take care.

@thespiceman

Community Champion
    Recipes
  • fatherinpain
    Hit the big five-oh days guys, as before do not miss them or want them, but being a milestone day I had this as a thought I feel no different to when I was smoking, is this normal 
  • pollyanna1052
    Well done to everyone who has given up smoking.
    I`m not a smoker, but grew up with it and hubby smokes. I can see how hard it is to give up.
  • pollyanna1052
    Rifi7 said:
    I’m pleased for you Pollyanna. Did you end up going to the home you looked at? Do you have dogs or cats? Who looks after them when your away?

Can I say you bring such positive energy. Thank you. You just get on with it no matter what. I hope I can some day get to that acceptance of my situation sometime soon. I know I spend a lot of time resisting change and if I only embraced it, life would be a bit more easier for me.

Thankyou for your kind words Rifi.

My respite break was in the local hospice. It is a wonderful place. I do have a dog, Sophie a toy poodle.
    Hubby was at home with her.

I used to be more positive than I am..but I still do my best to be.
    Pollsx
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,352 Disability Gamechanger
    Hit the big five-oh days guys, as before do not miss them or want them, but being a milestone day I had this as a thought I feel no different to when I was smoking, is this normal 

Well done on your achievement! Although, improvements to your lungs is usually from between 3 and 9 months after quiting.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • thespiceman
    edited March 2020
    Hello @fatherinpain   Well done and those of my friends who have been successful.

Please do not wish to upset any one have a health condition due passive smoking.

I do not smoke ever did but as all weekenders and soul weekenders, night clubs every one did.

Called Rhinitis like a sinus cold and some days sneeze constantly all my lungs  and chest hurt.

Voice gets effected.  

Anything sets it off all a major contribution was cigarette smoke.

Strong scents perfumes and strong after shave.  Deodorants eye watering, sneezing and itch with hay fever symptoms. 

What does help is natural remedies honey, good diet antibacterial to stop infections.

Had several operations unfortunately not successful.

One final admission my own fault coming into the pubs, clubs, the addiction need to drink.

Social scene and everything around it, I do believe continuous exposure at places of work in The Eighties contributed.

No one tells you passive smoking, my thoughts are for ever one trying to stop stave off.

Please if your having any problems please get in touch .

Any thing to help ask me.

Best wishes.

@thespiceman

Community Champion
    Recipes
  • fatherinpain
    I’m not having problems/craving, was just having the idea in mind that by 50 days I thought I would be feeling different through not smoking, the only difference is I probably smell nicer to others 
  • fatherinpain
    100 days down..... physically still don’t fell no different, Can anybody advice where I’ve gone wrong on this journey?

Brightness