SDP Gateway Failure — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

SDP Gateway Failure

NorthEast96
NorthEast96 Community member Posts: 6 Listener
Hello, I've been through a right predicament this past week and was wondering what I have yet to expect, if anyone has any ideas. 

So the back story is, I moved out of my family home in May/June 2018 and into my own home in the next town across. I started my housing benefit claim and had the understanding that my address with ESA would also be changed at the same time, as I had to provide my award letter which they took a copy of along with my tenancy. Months passed (February 2019) and I received an ESA letter at my family address. I called to change my address as it hadn't been done like I originally thought and the woman on the phone said she would have to stop my ESA and HB claim and I would have to apply for Universal Credit. Applied for UC online whilst on the phone to someone from UC cause I was absolutely clueless with it all, UC all got sorted and that brings us to now. I was speaking with someone about it all and how stressful it all was a few days ago and they explained that they were surprised they moved me to UC as I was in ESA support group and received PIP (high care, low mobility) and explained about SDP, at this point I was absolutely clueless so after they left I had a look into it all and realised I should have been entitled to the SDP and never recieved it. I left an entry on my UC journal asking about it all and they said I'd need to get back in contact with ESA, which I did. Spoke to the most friendliest person I've ever spoken to from ESA (use to dread calling them cause they'd always come across horrible) and explained everything like I have to all of yous, he looked at the systems and couldn't understand why the SDP never showed up as he could see my ESA claim and PIP claim were both at the Same time and also explained that me changing my address shouldn't have triggered the UC claim as I was already claiming the HB in that LA (and that my area didnt become a full UC service area till after I'd moved here) and I wasnt making any new benefit claims. He advised me to do an MR and explain it all, which I have done and also sent a copy of my signed and dated tenancy, and I sent it today. So basically I'm just wondering what happened next? I've not slept much cause stuff like this really gets to me and I just feel so shaky constantly. I've searched everywhere and havnt come across any situation like mine. Any advice or possible outcomes would be great just to give me some sort of idea please. Also I apologise for such a long post, just wanted to explain it all the best I could, as I think it's such a complicated situation. 

Thanks,

Jordan x

Comments

• NorthEast96
    Sprry, forgot to add that it was IR ESA I was receiving. 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,359 Disability Gamechanger
    edited February 2020
    Hi and welcome,

It's very difficult to read your post because of lack of paragraphs but i'll do my best to advise you.

The SDP isn't automatically paid so it wouldn't have showed on your ESA claim. Do you have proof that you were advised to claim UC because this maybe needed, otherwise it could be your word against theirs.

Whether or not you'll be able to go back onto legacy ESA i'm not really sure but if the MR decision remains the same it's Tribunal after that.

Face to face advice is required here and if you have a law centre or welfare rights near you then i'd advise you to speak to them. This link will help you find what's local to you. https://advicelocal.uk/

I'm assuming no one claimed carers allowance or the carers element of UC for looking after you? If not then In the meantime you can claim the SDP from the time you moved into your new home until you started your claim for UC.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Mickyjim
    Mickyjim Community member Posts: 11 Connected
    As a side not to be eligable to SDP you have to be living as a single person. Unless the other adults are also eligable to a disability beneft. So for example if you were living with your parents and they did not claim a qualifying benefit such as DLA Medium or Higher rate Care or PIP Daily Living, you did not qualify for SDP.
  • poppy123456
    Mickyjim said:
    As a side not to be eligable to SDP you have to be living as a single person. Unless the other adults are also eligable to a disability beneft. So for example if you were living with your parents and they did not claim a qualifying benefit such as DLA Medium or Higher rate Care or PIP Daily Living, you did not qualify for SDP.

They moved out of the family home and into their own home....
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • NorthEast96
    Thanks for your reply.

The man I'd spoken to from ESA said when my MR was getting looked into, they may listen to my original call when my ESA claim was stopped.

Other than that I dont know what other evidence I would have? 
  • poppy123456
    No problem. Some calls are recorded but not all, so you maybe lucky if it was. Otherwise i really have no idea.

I'm assuming no one was claiming carers allowance or carers element of UC for looking after you at that time? You didn't answer that question.
  • NorthEast96
    Sorry, nope. No one was claiming carers allowance for me.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.