PIP decision affecting ESA — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

PIP decision affecting ESA

Galarboy
Galarboy Community member Posts: 7 Listener
A family member has just been employed as a decision maker and has been told that ‘unofficially’ if you’re denied PIP and are on ESA expect to have your ESA claim reviewed soon and vice versa. Has anyone else heard of this?

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    @Galarboy Hello and welcome to the community, I have not heard anything about this mentioned on the community and will look out for any mention. However as you are probably aware there has been talk ( only talk) of combining assessments but this is not in place. Currently they are both separate benefits with different criteria. As it is unofficial information it cannot be relied upon . Thankyou for sharing with us I am sure other members will offer their opinion as well
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,338 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

Sorry but this is not correct. For the work capability assessment they can reassess you anytime from 3 months. If someone has been refused PIP and they are then sent a work capability assessment form and it's been more than 3 months since their last review then it's purely a coincidence and nothing more.

They are completely different benefits, with different criteria.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Galarboy
    Galarboy Community member Posts: 7 Listener
    Hi,

Sorry but this is not correct. For the work capability assessment they can reassess you anytime from 3 months. If someone has been refused PIP and they are then sent a work capability assessment form and it's been more than 3 months since their last review then it's purely a coincidence and nothing more.

They are completely different benefits, with different criteria.
    Officially that might be the case, but as I said, the person who reported this to me was told that this directive was strictly off record...
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,519 Disability Gamechanger
    The person telling you this..have they signed the official secrets act? I did 45 years ago when I worked as a civil servant for 3 weeks, I am still bound by it oddly enough.
    However all that said, he/they are wrong.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.