PIP and ESA assessments? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

PIP and ESA assessments?

Jiggyitup
Jiggyitup Community member Posts: 2 Listener
Hi everybody!
So sorry if I don't do this right... It's my first post ever but... I got awarded PIP standard daily living in September just passed after 3/4 of a year trying to prove them that I really needed the help. The thing I was going to ask was... I was on income support and now forced to come off it as my daughter is turning 5 and I only just found out I could apply for ESA instead of universal credit because I'm eligible for Severe disability premium. (Which I thought I had but apparently not! It's getting sorted out now.) 
But I'm scared about going through another assessment after PIP. It nearly tore me apart. Do I have to go through another assessment with ESA despite only getting daily living? Can they use my PIP award as evidence? 
Sorry for the wall of text!! 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,345 Disability Gamechanger
    HI and welcome,

Yes, unfortunately, you will need to be assessed for the work capability assessment too as you've now applied for ESA. Although you have been awarded PIP they are 2 different benefits, with different criteria. When you receive the work capability assessment for then you'll need to fill it in with as much information as possible about how your conditions affect you and send relevant evidence with the form to support your claim.

You can send your PIP award as evidence but whether it will be used or not will depend what you scored the points for with PIP.

Remember the work capability assessment is about the work you can do and not the work you can't do. They will assess your ability to do any type of work.

Hope this helps. Good luck.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Jiggyitup
    Jiggyitup Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Okay. That's okay. I was thinking it was going to be more like PIP as an assessment. That seems a bit more reasonable. 
    Thank you very much! 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,345 Disability Gamechanger
    The face to face assessment is similar to PIP but with different criteria. See link for more information.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Jiggyitup, just wanted to check in to see how you were doing. :)
    Scope

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.