Hi, my name is Hglen78! — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is Hglen78!

Hglen78
Hglen78 Community member Posts: 5 Listener
Hi I’m looking to receive an inheritance payment when I do will it affect the money I receive for my 10yr old son and my carers allowance as I care for someone ? 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,345 Disability Gamechanger
    HI and welcome,

It won't affect your carers allowance or any child benefit/ child tax credits you receive for your son. If you claim any means tested benefits like housing benefit/council tax reduction or Income support or Universal Credit then yes it will after any benefit you receive that's means tested. If the money you receive takes your savings to more than £6.000 but £15,999 then it will affect those benefits by £1 for every £250 over that amount. If it takes your savings to £16.000 or more then all your means tested benefits will stop.

All changes must be reported once the money goes into your bank.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Hglen78
    Thank you !! Is there any law on how you can spend it or not ? 
  • poppy123456
    You're welcome. No, not if you're not claiming any means tested benefits, as i have no idea what other benefits you're claiming, if any then it's impossible to give you any further advice.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Hglen78
    At present I receive housing benefit , council tax and universal credit who pay me for me , my son and also I receive child benefit and carers allowance. 
  • poppy123456
    Are you sure you're receiving housing benefit and not just Universal Credit? Help for your rent is usually paid in with your universal credit unless you're living in temporary accommodation and then it's paid as housing benefit.

Regardless of that your Universal Credit/council tax reduction and housing benefit (if it's this you're claiming) will all be means tested. If what you'll receive is £16.000 and more than all those benefits will end.

• Hglen78
    Yes that’s correct it’s through universal credit . 
  • poppy123456
    Thanks, that's what i thought. Then as advised, if your inheritance takes your savings to more than £16.000 then your UC will stop and so will your council tax reduction. You will need to report the changes once the money goes into your bank.
  • Hglen78
    That’s a big help thank you very much . 
  • poppy123456
    You’re welcome ? 

Brightness