help with sdp — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

help with sdp

cindy89
cindy89 Community member Posts: 6 Listener
at the moment I'm from place to place one being my mums and she receives pip and some other person who isn't family or a friend and he owns the house..plus being a pensioner I've tried to ring job centre but I keep getting different answers. I receive pip and was given sdp but then to be told by someone else I was not entitled. 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,357 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi and welcome,

To receive SDP you must live alone and no one must claim carers allowance for looking after you.

As you are living between houses then for your SDP to continue all those people that are over the age of 18 that live in the houses with you must all be claiming a qualifying benefit such as PIP daily living, DLA mid/high rate care or Attendance Allowance.

If they don’t all claim this then you won’t be entitled to the SDP and you need to ring ESA and report the changes. If you’ve been claiming this and shouldn’t have been then you will have an overpayment that will need to be repaid back.

Hope this helps. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • cindy89
    okay thank you because at first they classed him not included in the non dependant as him being a landlord and just allowing me to stay there without paying rent till things have settled down I did ask what info they would need formal or what coz at the moment its just been a verbal contract. 
  • poppy123456
    You also say you are living between houses, who else lives in the other house that you sometimes stay at? Where are you classed as living with DWP or are you classed as no fixed address? 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • cindy89
    the other house is my mum who lives alone who receives pip and I'm classed as no fixed address
  • poppy123456
    You can't usually claim SDP when you're classed as no fixed address. Do DWP know that you're classed as no fixed address?
  • cindy89
    Yeah they do they just have a care of address down for me which is at my dads because of being able to get my post 
  • poppy123456
    I'm very surprised they are allowing you to claim the SDP under these circumstances because no fixed address means you're not entitled to claim it.
  • cindy89
    That's what I thought but I've got so many different answers and was getting so confused, but I asked them if i moved in permanently with the landlord if it could just be a written contact or had to be something more legal 
  • poppy123456
    edited February 2020
    This will depend on who the landlord is, whether they are a friend or a relative or a partner. If it's a friend then you will need a tenancy agreement, if it's relative/partner then you won't be able to claim the SDP unless they claim a qualifying benefit such as PIP daily living/DLA mid/high rate care or Attendance allowance.

Are DWP now questioning your SDP which is the reason why you've asked this question here?
  • cindy89
    The landlord is not related to me just through someone who kindly let me stay. I'll try and see if they will do a tenancy so I can just stay in one place which make everything easier I just dont want to make things more complicated for the people that I'm staying with 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.