PIP Recording my assessment question — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

PIP Recording my assessment question

Niffler
Niffler Community member Posts: 14 Courageous
Hi newbie here, my name is Niffler nice to meet you all!

I have my PIP assessment soon and am wanting to record it. Got the equipment ready and someone is coming with me.

But my question is...can the assessors refuse me to record the assessment despite me letting them know we intend to record it? We contacted them before hand,  and will ask in reception when we arrive. 

Reason is the last assessment was unbelievable?! The lies told were ridiculous as I don't have a post office anywhere near me or a wheelchair to get to work?!

Thanks for any advice/guidance in advance! ;)

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    @Niffler Hello and welcome to the community, its nice to see new members here.

As for your question Im no expert but my understanding is that you can record the assessment as long as you have informed them and use the equipment they request. You need to suppy 2 copies of the recording and hand one over. Im sure there is a guide about recording assessment son the website type into google recording PIP assessments. Good luck for your assessment and let us know how you get on
  • Niffler
    Thank you for your reply and nice to meet you @janer1967!

Ok, well we have prepared as much as we can. It's on Wednesday and will be phoning again tomorrow to confirm it with them too.

It's a nightmare isn't it?
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,330 Disability Gamechanger
    HI and welcome,

You will need to sign an agreement before the assessment begins. You also need to make sure that the tapes you use are unopened when you arrive in the assessment room.

Personally, i'd prefer to concentrate on filling out the form with as much information as possible and adding those real life examples of what happened the last time i attempted that activity for each descriptor that applies to me. Having the added stress of setting up the recording devices before the assessment would be far too much stress for me on top of the assessment process too. I guess we are all different.

Good luck.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Niffler
    Thank you!

Had a call from them today confirming my appointment, where it is and do I still wish to record the assessment.

I don't have a cassette or CD recording equipment but do have 2 digital recorders so can give them one at the end of the interview.  Also I shall burn my copy to disk when I get home and send it to them at the DWP to ensure.

I know they probably won't accept it but I have to try!

I feel sick already about it :(
  • janer1967
    Good luck when is your appointment ? Easier said than done but try not to stress about it . Let us know how you get on 
  • Niffler
    This Wednesday at 1pm

Just wondering what I should say  like "for the benefit of the tape" etc!

Should I name the assessor, date, time and then afterwards say the finish time and will now hand over one of the recorders and a CD will be sent to DWP?

Thanks for all your support!
  • janer1967
    I dont really know the answer to that as never recorded mine. But good luck will be thinking of you . Is it your first assessment ? 
    I have had 1 assessment and a review which was just paper based and both successful so it's not always a bad experience it's just we dont hear about the success stories 
  • Niffler
    No, I had my first assessment for PIP nearly 2 years ago and it was successful. However, I just had a feeling it won't be this time because of the news lately. Plus a friend of mine has low oxygen saturation levels, has a severe heart condition and can't move has failed hers and is having to appeal?! 

Plus my results last time where maddening despite getting it?! 

There is no logic to it because it's not done on logic it's how much money they can save. 

Sorry rant over! ;)
  • poppy123456
    edited February 2020
    Niffler said:
    Thank you!

Had a call from them today confirming my appointment, where it is and do I still wish to record the assessment.

I don't have a cassette or CD recording equipment but do have 2 digital recorders so can give them one at the end of the interview.  Also I shall burn my copy to disk when I get home and send it to them at the DWP to ensure.

I know they probably won't accept it but I have to try!

I feel sick already about it :(

You will not be able to use anything else but a CD/tape recorder and you must record 2 identical copies. Any other recording device such as dictaphones/laptops/phones etc will not be allowed.

See link and scroll down to audio recording. http://capita-pip.co.uk/en/assessment-process.html

This tape recorder is allowed https://www.argos.co.uk/product/5740413 you will need to use 2 of those and you'll also need 2 tapes BUT they must be unopened when you arrive in the assessment room.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Niffler
    Well I can't afford those I'm afraid so am just going to have to go with it!

I have to try, besides if I do have difficulty I will try and see if they'll accept a CD after I've burned the digital copy to CD and give it to  them same day.

I know they'll make it difficult for me but I will do the same to them.  They can't cherry pick 

Wish me luck!
  • poppy123456
    You won't be able to record the assessment with the use of the digital device. It has to be the correct recording device otherwise recording won't be allowed to go ahead.
  • Ails
    Ails Community member Posts: 2,256 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Niffler and welcome to the Community.  It is nice to meet you.  Good luck for your assessment!  Please let us know how you get on.  If there is anything else we can help/support you with then please just ask.  All the best.  :smile:
    Winner of the Scope New Volunteer Award 2019.   :)
  • Niffler
    Hi there @Ails and thank you for the welcome!

I shall of course report back after my assessment 

As I've heard before all information is power so hopefully I can share some powerful info with you all!
  • Ails
    Ails Community member Posts: 2,256 Disability Gamechanger
    You are very welcome, @Niffler.  Yes, that is very true and we look forward to hearing from you again.  All the best.  :smile:
    Winner of the Scope New Volunteer Award 2019.   :)
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Niffler -Welcome to the community from me too. Whilst I appreciate your concerns, as your last assessment was inaccurate, I would urge you to follow Poppy's advice. If you haven't got the correct equipment to record the assessment, then you won't be allowed to proceed. You should instead concentrate on the assessment itself.
    I hope your assessment goes well, & we'll all be pleased to hear how it went. :)
  • Niffler
    Thank you to all for your comments and support!

Haven't replied straight away as am exhausted from the whole ordeal but I survived ;)

Despite this being my 2nd PIP assessment it was the better one of the two! Whether that means anything I don't know,  all we can do is wait. In the lap for the DWP gods.

And as you advised recording was not allowed not even for personal reference. :disappointed:

But all in all, it's done thank goodness!
  • janer1967
    Glad it's over with just the wait now. Dont forget you can request your report approx a week after your assessment 
  • chiarieds
    Hi @Niffler - thank you for getting back in touch. I hope you're recovering a little now following your assessment, which we all hope went well! :)
  • Niffler
    Thanks @janer1967 I didn't know you could do that.  Do you phone the PIP main number or the place I went to, to obtain the report? 

Thank you too @chiarieds ;)
  • chiarieds
    You ring the DWP's PIP enquiry number 0800 121 4433 & ask for a copy of your assessment report.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.