Reasonable adjustments. It's all gone wrong, people don't understand. — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Reasonable adjustments. It's all gone wrong, people don't understand.

vapegirlclouds
vapegirlclouds Community member Posts: 10 Connected
edited March 2020 in Work and employment
Hello,
I'm trying not to have a complete meltdown.
I'm a disabled employee, we moved to new premises 3 years ago. The disabled toilet is central, the gents down another wing.
The disabled toilet is left filthy, light off seat up. You can't wash your hands if someone has washed before you as the water is too hot, and you've got to be quick to wash them as the water gets so hot so quick. 
I have difficulty accessing it due to it being used by contractors and male staff. Management have acknowledged on several occasions that it's misused due to laziness of make staff.
I've mostly nailed it now, that I go every hour and a half, it avoids peak times.
Access to work recommended that management, provide better management of the disabled toilet. Ie. Signage please leave this toilet as you would wish to find it, quarterly emails to staff etc. Work have pretty much ignored this. I was assured they would put signage up, and signage pointing to the mens and they haven't. I sought advice from EHRC and they stated that if I couldn't access the toilet due to misuse this could be seen as discrimination. 
My union suggested we seek legal advice and bring ACAS in for early conciliation, we've done that.
Acas are dealing with HR in the meantime, the solicitors have said that it would unlikely win at tribunal. Honestly, I didn't want this to go this far. I just want it to be taken seriously, I want to use a clean toilet, I'm sight impaired the toilet seat was replaced with a non contrast one, so I have difficulty seeing it anyway when it's up, I've got to wave my hand about to find the light pull when the light is off. They make sure customers have a fantastic high contrast clean disabled toilet, yet I'm not afforded the same as an employee.
If work now find out it wouldn't be successful at tribunal they'll have a field day. The HR man has received almost 3 years of emails where I've asked for help, so I hope he can see that's all it is. There's been previous issues, I didn't have equal access for 18 months to the building, I should have been brave enough then to take them. 
Doesn anyone know what happens now?
I literally would just like a clean toilet and for people to take it seriously, not "just use this as it's closer"
Sorry for the long post.
Thanks
V

Comments

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,521 Disability Gamechanger
    With your union ACAS and HR involved i'm not sure what else you can do tbh.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• vapegirlclouds
    vapegirlclouds Community member Posts: 10 Connected
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Hi @vapegirlclouds. I'm glad you're fighting for what you're entitled to.

As was said earlier in the thread, I'm not really sure what else you could do at this point with all the respective parties involved, but please keep in touch and let us know how you get on.
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • Topkitten
    Topkitten Community member Posts: 1,285 Pioneering
    Unfortunately too many businesses give lip service to rules and regulations, only doing the absolute minimum they can get away with. Maybe I'm cynical but afaik most companys don't put money or effort into things that don't make money and the rules are never enforced or never the source of penalties. Too many rules and regs are given no punishments for being ignored because the relevant authorities have no power to punish.

TK
    "I'm on the wrong side of heaven and the righteous side of hell" - from Wrong side of heaven by Five Finger Death Punch.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi I don't really think there is a lot more you can do as you have seen union, ACAS I am sure they will pursue this. The only other thing is to maybe go down the route of Health and Safety at work as it is the employers responsibility to provide a safe working environment and this is not safe for you due to the light issue, the toilet seat and contamination. But I am sure ACAS etc will have looked at this aspect. Good luck I hope you get something sorted

Brightness