Anyone in Durham area applied for mental health pip? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Anyone in Durham area applied for mental health pip?

Options
anxiousbird
anxiousbird Community member Posts: 165 Pioneering
Hi, is there anyone who applied in Durham area for pip for mental health? Did you score points? If not, did you go to MR or appeal? What was the outcome? Any tips? 
Thanks ? 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,230 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi,

Lots of people claim PIP because of the way mental health affects them but PIP isn't awarded based on a diagnosis, it's how those conditions affect your ability to carry out daily activity based on the PIP descriptors.

We are all affected differently by these conditions and you can't compare 2 people. I'm assuming by a previous comment of yours here that you've been refused PIP, is that correct?
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,655 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi it doesn't matter where you are the rules are the same, have you applied and been turned down?
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• anxiousbird
    Options
    Hi. woodbine said:
    Hi it doesn't matter where you are the rules are the same, have you applied and been turned down?
    Hi,

Lots of people claim PIP because of the way mental health affects them but PIP isn't awarded based on a diagnosis, it's how those conditions affect your ability to carry out daily activity based on the PIP descriptors.

We are all affected differently by these conditions and you can't compare 2 people. I'm assuming by a previous comment of yours here that you've been refused PIP, is that correct?
    Yes, that’s right. Although haven’t received the official decision letter yet. If you look through my assessor report and read just the descriptions /notes then you’ll think I should get points but the issue is that after each description she has copy pasted 2 lines saying “but she is not taking one of her prescribed medication and a low dose of another so shouldn’t need help”. Despite the fact that I’m not taking the medication BECAUSE it makes the anxiety even worse in the beginning and I don’t have a 24/7 carer with me and I’m barely managing with my current anxiety states already. 

The lady was so lovely but it was all just an act I guess. I was honest in my assessment and didn’t lie or ‘act’ as some people here advise to do, and I stated clearly that I was having a very good day so no problems at all on the day of assessment. 

I also had 5 GP letters from over the years stating my conditions and how I needed support and how I get sudden fits (where my hands and legs are clenched tight so unable to move) and also my DVLA letter cancelling my license after an incident where I was taking a lesson on motorway at 70mph and got the anxiety attack /fit and couldn’t move hands and manoeuvre steering wheel so the instructor barely managed to somehow get us to stop at a parking place. But despite all this she has given me 0 points everywhere just because I’m not taking the one medication which I CANT unless I have support (hence applying for PIP), not to mention the countless other medications I’ve had in the past without any effect! 
  • anxiousbird
    Options
    I was asking specifically for Durham to see whether anybody has had any positive experiences too, or is it majority negatives. I don’t know whether I should go for an appeal or just reapply pip altogether? 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,230 Disability Gamechanger
    edited February 2020
    Options
    Lots of people with mental health successfully claim PIP because of the way it affects them.

I wouldn't advise you to reapply. Doing this using the same evidence you just used will very likely see another refusal and it will continue to be a vicious circle. Once the decision is made you need to request the Mandatory reconsideration within 1 month of the date of the decision. If that fails and most do then it's Tribunal.

you should put your request in writing stating where you think you should have scored those points and your reasons why. Then add a couple of real life examples of what happened the last time you attempted that activity for each descriptor that applies to you.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.