Anyone in Durham area applied for mental health pip? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Anyone in Durham area applied for mental health pip?

anxiousbird
anxiousbird Community member Posts: 162 Pioneering
Hi, is there anyone who applied in Durham area for pip for mental health? Did you score points? If not, did you go to MR or appeal? What was the outcome? Any tips? 
Thanks ? 

Comments

• DaveTheWasp
    DaveTheWasp Community member Posts: 37 Courageous
    edited February 2020
    Not related to Durham in particular , but in general, mental health grounds can be quite difficult to score points on as it can be tough to prove that you meet the appropriate descriptors, GP letters and diagnoses don't seem to count for much with PIP, although I would still include them if you have them.  Definitely read the PIP guide, in particular the descriptors, and explain why/how you meet your chosen descriptors (be aware that they're not always as they seem - for example, complex verbal information can be as little as a couple of simple sentences strung together, which is why it's important to make sure you've read the guide). 

This also may seem unfair of me to say, but I think a lot depends on which assessor/decision maker you have.  I think that a good number of them aren't overly familiar with mental health issues and fill gaps in knowledge with assumptions that lead to incorrect decisions. Just do your best to explain how you meet your descriptors, include what goes wrong if you try to carry out the activities unaided etc, and hope for the best!

I hope all goes well with your application.
  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    edited February 2020
    Hello @anxiousbird   Pleased to meet you.

I am one of the team of Community Champions we guide and advise members of our Community.

I have mental health my self and advise community members.

On a wide range of themes and topics related, including addiction.  Diet and nutrition having had my illness thirty years on going.

I use mental health charities.  These offer the following floating support, wellbeing health. Benefit advice, form filling in and attendance at assessments.

https://www.richmondfellowship.org.uk.

https://www.mind.org.uk.

https://www.rethink.org.

I live in Co. Durham  would recommend as I have used them for three years is the first charity.

Self refer or speak to GP.

Richmond Fellowship excellent staff and team understand you supportive and may I add in benefit situations worth the advice and time.

They offer a lot of information, advice and guidance with mental health used the coping methods and education, knowledge to help you.

Please consider this because it does and is beneficial to your well being.

Please I would also if you are experiencing anxiety right now.

I can offer the following diet, nutrition advice and information.

I have qualifications gained through mental health charities which I support and advise, suggest to members.

Also my own knowledge and research.

Useful and informative.

Please read carefully as these changes simple ones do and can be effective in calming down and subsidence of anxiety symptoms.

1.  Avoid all Caffeine in Tea, Coffee, Cola, Chocolate.

2.  Avoid Alcohol  all these are stimulants more anxious you are the more you take makes it worse the symptoms.

3.  Lean meat  Fish  plenty fruit vegetables. Leafy greens B vitamins, Eggs Nuts, Yoghurt if allergies do not take.

Yoghurt with added cultures with fruit and Cinnamon eases stomach issues as does Fennel Seeds and Turmeric take in small quantities speak to your GP as a precaution.

Never take supplements with out consulting GP. As if you taking medications some can effect the use of meds.

Whole grain Bread, Pasta, Rice, Pulses, Beans.

Warm milky drinks to use night time sleep with honey in it .

Tryptophan is a chemical found in foods listed know to ease symptoms .

4. Lifestyle changes, with anxiety needs to find ways be easing symptoms.

Use calming music Classic FM.  A one I use all the time have this on .

Yoga, meditation, create a comfort box. To hand your favourite possessions and items to hand.

Books, favourite passages, poems. so on.  Photos, so on and any contacts to use if you need to.

Comfort blankets, pillows and anything else to give you reassurance .

Eased the stress.  Scented candles or anything to cope with.

Mine has  favourite CD's can pull out and play , my bible and favourite recipes to hand simple ones need that comfort. If I need to use have coping methods strategies to hand.

Please if I can help with anything any questions happy to help.

Please if I can stress with any diet, nutritional changes speak to your GP as a matter of course should be supporting you.

Talk to them I do before any assessments or tribunal. Can be beneficial boost last time gave me some relevant information additional organsations and support did not know about.

This included a CAB service for our Community.  In Co. Durham.

After wards as well any assessment .

Please take care.

@thespiceman

Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • michfinch
    michfinch Community member Posts: 173 Pioneering
    Hello @thespiceman I’ve Temporal Lobe Epilepsy, awful memory problems and have tried to read up all I can on here and on-line re Mental Health and PIP. I receive PIP and am Appealing as I am only 1 point away from receiving PIP at the higher rate on both Descriptors. I live in Newcastle upon Tyne. I’m not allowed to attend the next Appeal. Apparently the Judge locks himself away with all my Evidence (I think we’re up to page 297 as of now). Has anyone else experienced this? ie is it the “norm”?
    Nest wishes and Good Luck to all.
  • michfinch
    michfinch Community member Posts: 173 Pioneering
    “Best” wishes even!!
  • anxiousbird
    anxiousbird Community member Posts: 162 Pioneering
    Thanks all for your helpful advice :) 
  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @michfinch   Thank you for getting in touch.

I am going to tag my friend @poppy123456 has exceptional knowledge of tribunals and everything around it.

Including benefits.

Be in touch soon.

Please can I ask have any one supporting you any mental health team?

Always worth talking to and considering.

The links used these.

https://www.richmondfellowship.org.uk.

https://www.mind.org.uk.

https://www.rethink.org.

Please take care.

@thespiceman

Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,352 Disability Gamechanger
    michfinch said:
    Hello @thespiceman I’ve Temporal Lobe Epilepsy, awful memory problems and have tried to read up all I can on here and on-line re Mental Health and PIP. I receive PIP and am Appealing as I am only 1 point away from receiving PIP at the higher rate on both Descriptors. I live in Newcastle upon Tyne. I’m not allowed to attend the next Appeal. Apparently the Judge locks himself away with all my Evidence (I think we’re up to page 297 as of now). Has anyone else experienced this? ie is it the “norm”?
    Nest wishes and Good Luck to all.

Sorry but i have no idea what this means as i've not heard of this happening before. If you have a representative then you should ask them as they will know.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.