Weather — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Weather

AndyGT
AndyGT Community member Posts: 736 Pioneering
Good Afternoon. I sit here looking out of the window at the rain, wind  and watch everigetting battered.  It is not nice here but I realise other places have it worse elsewhere.  According to the news South Wales has it worse and my thoughts go out to you.  It is hard at the best of times having a disability but times like now can make it do much harder.  It is not always easy asking for help, but I hope you are getting it, whomever of you that needs it.

I sit and can't get comfortable and no matter where or how I sit okay the painstakingly times feels overwhelming.   My thoughts though are with those that are finding it harder and more DIY than I do.   I hope everyone is safe  comfortable and warm, ir at least as much as they can be.

Please take care and look after yourselves and if you can look after a neighbour, or least give them a call.

Comments

• Tommyb92
    Tommyb92 Community member Posts: 73 Courageous
    HI there @AndyGT thanks for your post!, I hope you are nice and warm at home but can understand how you are feeling about others who may not be in a good place at the moment -Tom

<code><a href="https://twitter.com/lgbtdisability" rel="nofollow">https://twitter.com/lgbtdisability</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/tombyford" rel="nofollow">https://twitter.com/tombyford</a> <br><a href="https://www.facebook.com/tombyford" rel="nofollow">https://www.facebook.com/tombyford</a><br>http://www.twitter.com/lgbtdisability

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    @AndyGT Thank you for your post, the weather has been pretty horrendous the last few weeks, we had a major hail storm last night and the noise from it hitting the roof and windows drowned out the tv. It can be scary for everyone as well as disabled people and its important that we bear this in mind and be helpful to those we can assist. Also we need to help ourselves by keeping warm and making sure we have ample supplies in case the weather takes a turn for the worse
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    I hope you all have better weather today!
    Scope

• AndyGT
    Well the weather has improved around here today . I hope it is better for you all  as well.  I have have been cold and damp which has been playing absolute havoc with my back....
    But I am lucky., I have a house with a roof over my head and heating. No matter how bad things are it could be worse.  Where and when we can, we must try to help those that need it. 

I hope you are all warm, comfortable  and safe.  
  • deb74
    deb74 Community member Posts: 814 Pioneering
    I started a conversation on the website yesterday saying that storm Dennis has been worse than storm Coates. The river seven burst its banks yesterday and this is what it looked like yesterday morning.
  • deb74
    Didn't mean to put the photo on twice I am not very good at putting photos online yet.
  • AndyGT
    No need to apologise.   It makes the point.It can't gave a good time.  Were you and your family all ok? 
  • deb74
    Hi AndyGT. The wall in the photo is the floor barrier. The river was about 2ft higher than normal. The town used to flood all the time and then the council built the flood barrier and re-routed the river. My family are fine thanks for asking.The canal used to run past the back of my house but that part of the canal was filled in years ago thank goodness! My house is right by the old canal basin and is one of the old canal workers cottages.
  • AndyGT
    I live some distance from the coast or any major water way/course.  The worse we was flooded drains, trees, fences etc. that had collapsed and so on. So I know I was in a lucky position.  It's the damp though, far more than the cold that causes me to struggle. Since the week I haven't been able to get around as well as I should be able to.  I do find it rather soul destroying at times but it's something I have to live with. I can't fully employers what time like this allow me to work from home with a lap top etc  and if I can't sit at the table for a great deal of time I do not have a tremendous amount of pressure put on me.

This weather though does raise questions about community and whether it still exists  and if so to what extent? There will always be some areas where people will always help their neighbour whether they know them or not and other areas that are a bitbsouless and it's not that they don't care, it's that they don't think .  I would like to think (and do) that most people care.
  • deb74
    This was the river at 1.45pm yesterday. It has just started to flood a few foot down the fiver bank from where I took this photo.
  • Chloe_Scope
    Oh wow @deb74!! Stay safe and I hope it doesn't cause too much damage.
    Scope

• deb74
    Hi Chloe_Scope. I went down the river bank a couple of hours ago and the river had gone right down again. My dog is a bit fed up because I won't let her off her lead when we go down the river bank but the river is flowing that fast that I can't risk her swimming in it.
  • Chloe_Scope
    I'm glad it subsided quickly! I can imagine your dog would be frustrated, definitely for the best though!
    Scope

• pollyanna1052
    pollyanna1052 Community member Posts: 2,032 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi, there are people who live between half and 10 miles from us, who have been flooded 3 times in the last 7 months. Flood defences are being built, but not quickly enough. I can only imagine how soul destroying it is, to have made repairs to damaged homes and businesses, only to have the same devastation happen again and again.

It`s not like they can just up sticks and move if they have mortgages and loans on their property. And insurance will be unobtainable, or with huge excesses.

When I see people being rescued in rubber dinghies on tv, I wonder how on earth a paraplegic like me would cope.

Best wishes to all those affected. xx
  • AndyGT
    It's at times like this that we realise how much we rely on the emergency services and the military, but even more than that how much we rely on each other. Maybe a family or friends or even in some cases some random person who happens to be nearby.  I know that if varies from person to person or from place to place but in general they are there when needed.  

I hope all those affected are not on there own and have someone they can rely on.  I say someone, by which I include any dog, cat or other pet that makes life bearable. 

In situations like the weather it can very worrying and difficult especially as you could see your life literally getting washed away.  My heart goes out to you and I hope everything improves for you quickly.

Brightness