Pancakes - how do you eat yours? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Pancakes - how do you eat yours?

Adrian_Scope
Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
A stack of fluffy pancakes topped with blueberries and strawberries
This year's Pancake Day really snuck up on me, so in my house we'll be sticking to the traditional toppings of sugar and bucketfuls of lemon, but how will you be having your pancakes today?
Do you prefer sweet or savoury? Syrup or chocolate spread? Do you even like pancakes and if not, do you have anything extra special instead?
Community Manager
Scope

Comments

• Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Pancake Day certainly has appeared out of nowhere!

Lemon and sugar for me, it's the best combo!  <3
    Scope

• Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    This probably comes as no surprise, but I've never tried pancakes ?
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • KittyTinker
    KittyTinker Community member Posts: 79 Pioneering
    My oldest likes chocolate spread youngest treacle, hubby maple syrup me lemon and sugar my main problem is keeping up with supply and demand and making sure everyone is equally happy ? 
  • OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,586 Disability Gamechanger
    I bought some chocolate chip pancakes this year, on offer at £1.10 in Sainsburys.  Not a big chocolate fan but a few chips gave a good balance!  Just warmed them in the toaster and added some butter while they were still warm... ;)

• Adrian_Scope
    edited February 2020
    Ami2301 said:
    This probably comes as no surprise, but I've never tried pancakes ?
    I'm surprised when anyone hasn't tried pancakes @Ami2301

I like this one. Although as a rule I avoid putting my mouth anywhere near Thor's face.

A pancake that looks like the Marvel Comics character Thor.

Community Manager
    Scope
  • Adrian_Scope
    My oldest likes chocolate spread youngest treacle, hubby maple syrup me lemon and sugar my main problem is keeping up with supply and demand and making sure everyone is equally happy ? 
    I always find that by the time I've finished making them the majority are gone and I'm left with the crispy burnt ones I meant to throw away. 
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • Ami2301
    Hmm looks yummy... would be better if it were a Loki pancake! But then it would look too good to eat... such a predicament!
  • Adrian_Scope
    I bought some chocolate chip pancakes this year, on offer at £1.10 in Sainsburys.  Not a big chocolate fan but a few chips gave a good balance!  Just warmed them in the toaster and added some butter while they were still warm... ;)

I never even thought about butter. Of course! Especially good on a Scotch Pancake.
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • Adrian_Scope
    Ami2301 said:
    Hmm looks yummy... would be better if it were a Loki pancake! But then it would look too good to eat... such a predicament!
    A pancake that looks like the Marvel Comics character Loki
    Better?
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • Ami2301
    Yes! ?
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    I ike sweet or savoury, savoury filled with chicken and mushrooms, or tuna and sweetcorn in cheese sauce, or minced beef, then out in oven sprinkled with cheese.

Cheating this year bought ready made sweet ones, having with Nutella, or golden syrup with ice cream
  • April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    We all had some nice pancakes for breakfast. I serve them with chopped up fruit. And water. 
  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    edited February 2020
    Hello every one a simple recipe for Pancakes. Buy them ready made .

ITALIAN PANCAKES  CANOLI STYLE...

You need the following one Tub of Mascarpone and a Tub of Ricotta.  Good Jar of Chocolate Hazel nut Spread.  Crushed Nuts either Hazel Nuts or Walnuts.

Icing Sugar, Lemon Juice and Cinnamon.   

Method in a Bowl add One tablespoon of each Mascarpone and Ricotta with Lemon juice use a bottle a dash add one teaspoon icing sugar mix together .

Add in one tablespoon Chocolate Hazel nut Spread in to Bowl of mixture fold in, lay flat Pancake and spread carefully on to each Pancake.

Roll up and dust with Icing sugar and Cinnamon.  Top with Nuts crushed.

Done this with frozen Berries Cherries defrosted especially in to Mascarpone and Ricotta add Chocolate . Mix in carefully.

All for those chocoholics not me sorry can not consume.

PROSCIUTTO AND LEEK CHEESE PANCAKES.

This a simple easy one for those who like something savoury.

Ready made Pancakes useful to have to make simple suppers if you have not a lot in the fridge .

You need a tub of Four Cheese Sauce from the Chiller Cabinet.

Pack of Prosciutto leeks diced.  Ready made Pancakes Parmesan cheese or a mix of Cheddar and Mozzarella .

Method cook Leeks in a little butter wilt down on each Pancake add a slice of two of Prosciutto and the Leeks add the Cheese to taste.

Roll up into a gratin dish add Four Cheese Sauce poured over add more Cheese and in to Oven for 20 minutes adjust timings.

I used medium heat.  

Be bubbling and melting.

Serve with Bread.

Bueno Appetito.

@thespiceman
    Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • Chloe_Scope
    How was everyone's pancakes?

We made scotch pancakes and they were really nice! Although very filling...

@Ami2301, I don't think I could eat the Thor or Loki ones! They look far too good.  :D
    Scope

• pollyanna1052
    pollyanna1052 Community member Posts: 2,032 Disability Gamechanger
    I didn't know it was Pancake Tuesday so I didn't have any, Sulking now!

• thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @pollyanna1052   If you can have pancakes any time buy the ready made ones.

Great standby to use up those fruit in the bowl a tub of Greek Yoghurt some Apples sliced up .

Warm through a pan with touch of Honey the sugars in the fruit becomes Toffee Caramelised.

Warm your Pancake in the Microwave a few seconds . Add sliced Apples and top with Greek Yoghurt and Cinnamon.

Or those Cherries, Blue berries, Blackberries in the freezer defrosted. I have these every day defrosted with Yoghurt and Cinnamon.

Fill the pancakes and roll up add top with Greek Yoghurt or your favourite. Ones with honey added wow.

Just useful way of getting some fruit first thing the antibacterial properties help the start of the day.

In Summer time from the freezer blitz up add honey Greek Yoghurt use a food processor.

Add a Pancake on a plate microwave warm few a few seconds add Lemon Juice touch of Honey,  roll up add Instant Ice-cream on the side.

Or inside if you wish roll up add top with Crème Fraiche. Cinnamon.

Hope that helps always here to advise .

@thespiceman  
    Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • Adrian_Scope
    I like the sound of apple and cinnamon @thespiceman.

Your recipe with the ice-cream on the side reminds me of one my daughter had at a cafe in France with the pancake being used a cone for the ice-cream. Apparently absolutely delicious.
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • Ails
    Ails Community member Posts: 2,256 Disability Gamechanger
    Like @pollyanna1052, I missed out on Pancake Day this year as totally forgot!  My dad makes lovely pancakes so I will be helping him to make some this weekend, I think.  I like them with butter or jam.  :smiley:
    Winner of the Scope New Volunteer Award 2019.   :)
  • Chloe_Scope
    Hi @Ails, did you manage to have pancakes this weekend? :)
    Scope

• Ails
    Ails Community member Posts: 2,256 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Chloe_Scope, no, I never went to see my parents last weekend after all.  Had forgotten they were going to visit relatives, but going this weekend instead and really looking forward to my pancakes.  Well overdue!   :p
    Winner of the Scope New Volunteer Award 2019.   :)

Brightness