Hi, my name is nickaroberts! — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is nickaroberts!

Options
nickaroberts
nickaroberts Community member Posts: 1 Listener
Hi my wife and I have a disabled boy (Autism & ADHD) who is 16 in April 2020 when which he has to transfer his claim for DLA to PIP with me as the appointee as he has a mental age of 12 and cannot recognise dangerous & does not understand the value of money and cannot calculate change or the types of coins and notes.
I am currently preparing for the transition to PIP.

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,003 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    HI and welcome,

I'm assuming you've already applied to become his appointee, is that correct?

If so then when you receive the forms you need to make sure you put as much information as possible about how his conditions affect him against the PIP descriptors. Then add a couple of real life examples of what happened the last time he attempted that activity for each descriptor that applies to him.

Make sure you send relevant evidence with the form to support his claim because they rarely contact anyone for this.

Expect a face to face assessment because most people have them. Paper based assessments are rare. If you are his official appointee then you will be able to answer the questions on his behalf but he will need to be there during the assessment.

Hope this helps, good luck.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @nickaroberts Hello and welcome to the community, always nice to see new members, I hope your sons transfer to PIP goes successful, following Poppy's advice will definitely help things along
  • emmarenshaw
    emmarenshaw Community member Posts: 710 Pioneering
    Options
    Welcome to the community @nickaroberts .
  • Ails
    Ails Community member Posts: 2,256 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @nickaroberts and welcome to the Community.  It is nice to meet you.  If there is anything else we can help/support you with then you only just have to ask.  All the best.  :smile:
    Winner of the Scope New Volunteer Award 2019.   :)

Brightness