Universal Credit Limited work component backdated? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Universal Credit Limited work component backdated?

Alex34
Alex34 Community member Posts: 4 Listener
Hi all my name is Alex and I’m looking for information/advice regarding Limited work Capabilities and can it be backdated?. I know this has been a topic before but just wondered if mine was any different as it’s not very clear. I started a universal Credit claim mid way through last year where I filled out all the forms sent it back and awaited the decision. In September of last year I received my decision and universal Credit was awarded. I then was made further aware in November that I may be eligible for LCWRA I then proceeded to fill out the forms and posted them to the relevant address, At the beginning of January I was given an assessment date for the 27th of January this year which I attended then awaited the decision. Today which is the 25th of February I received a notification and messaged in my universal Credit account stating that the decision is that i do have limited work capability’s and that I may be entitled to more money. It also continues to say things like you no longer need to hand in fit notes or look for work etc. My first question is am I going to start receiving more money and if so how much?. The second question is if I am entitled to more money does it get backdated to when I first got paid from universal credit or is it 13 weeks after the start date or is it 13 weeks from the 27th of January when I attended my Limited work assessment? Thank you all for your time and I appreciate any information you guys can offer me. Regards Alex. 

Comments

• Ails
    Ails Community member Posts: 2,256 Disability Gamechanger
    HI @Alex34 and welcome to the Community.  It is nice to meet you.  I'm sorry, but I am unable to help you with your query, but I am going to tag in one of our other members, @poppy123456, who is excellent with DWP matters and will be best to advise you.  She will be in touch as soon as she can.

Hi @poppy123456, could you please help the above member with his enquiry?  Many thanks, @Ails:smile:
    Winner of the Scope New Volunteer Award 2019.   :)
  • Alex34
    @Ails many thanks I look forward to hearing from @poppy123456. Regards, Alex. 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,333 Disability Gamechanger
    HI and welcome,

Thanks @Ails for the tag,

You will need to take a look to see exactly what the decision is. If it's just limited capability for work (LCW) then you won't receive any extra money each month.

If the decision is Limited capability for work and work related activity (LCWRA) then you will receive an extra £336 per month from the 4th month of your claim, starting from when you first sent evidence of your conditions (fit note)

If it is is LCWRA then i'll need to know when exactly you first claimed UC (or when your assessment period is dated from) and when you first sent your fit note.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Alex34
    Hi @poppy123456 thank you for your reply I hope the information below helps you help me..

I received a letter in my UC journal it states that I’ve been awarded limited work capabilities and that I will not need to look for work but I will need to meets with a work coach they call this work related activities, and it goes on to say what it’s all about like learning new skills etc. Which leads me to believe it’s definitely LCWRA. I first completed everything on the 5th of August 2019 for UC which then gave me an appointment to attend my local job centre to hand in ID and my first fit note on the 9th of August 2019. thanks again Alex. 
  • poppy123456
    edited February 2020
    Thanks for confirming this.

As you have to attend work focused interviews (meetings with your work coach) then the decision is Limited capability for work. This means that you will not receive any extra money each month. It basically means that they think you are capable of doing work related activity but they have agreed you are not fit for work at the moment but need to prepare for work in the future.

If you were given LVWRA then no work focused interviews would be needed.

The reason it states "you maybe entitled to extra money" is because it's a standard letter and some people started their claim before April 2017. Those that started their claim after this date and are placed into this group (limited capability for work) will not receive any extra money.

If you disagree with the decision then you have 1 month from the date of the decision to request the Mandatory Reconsideration (MR) for this you'll need to write a message on your journal requesting the MR and the reasons why you think you should have been placed into the LCWRA group. See descriptors for this group here. https://www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/universal-credit-uc/uc-faq/3904-limited-capability-for-work-related-activity?fbclid=IwAR3FEkxjqMwgrQkYs8TuqRlWnksTx2n1Vm4t1zTOfna2UGlxBq0NphsujJE

You may want to get some face to face advice before requesting the MR because if you don't meet the criteria for LCWRA then requesting the MR is pointless.

Hope this helps.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Alex34
    Thank you @poppy123456 for all your advice I’ll look into that. Kind Regards, Alex 
  • poppy123456
    You're welcome.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.