Teenage driving. — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Teenage driving.

KittyTinker
KittyTinker Community member Posts: 79 Pioneering
I would love any advice from those who have gone before about learning to drive etc. We applied for a provisional license for my son and this is still ongoing (nearly a year now although the dvla say they have all the information required and it is in the hands of the medical team) then I understand he will need an assessment (we are fairly close to a William Merritt centre) but then after that I know very little. Personally we expect that our son will be ok in just an automatic but if he needs other adaptations how do we get him lessons. Would we need to buy a car get adaptions done and then hire someone to teach him in that car. I’m expecting that insurance will be extremely expensive does anyone have any advice there and also we have put some money away to help with his first car but would he be better to use motobility, personally we have always just purchased second hand cars as a family.
Many thanks for any advice 

Comments

• wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello, if your son gets full enhanced mobility and is eligible for a mobility car I would consider this option as all running costs are included and most if not all adaptions are included. But if minor adaptions are needed for your son to drive and the car can still be driven by a normal able bodied person with out the adaptions getting in the way or preventing safe use of the car, buying your, his own car may be the better option but you will have the insurance, garage bills, breakdown insurance and renewals to fund out of the PIP benefit. Having moved to an auto from driving manual privately and professionally for 40 plus years it's a lot easier as both hands are on the steering wheel. 
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @KittyTinker, here is an article about driving and motability which goes through various options to do with having lessons and getting adaptions. 

Please do let us know how you get on. :)
    Scope

• KittyTinker
    Thank you Wilco and Chloe I had no idea that it was so much more than a way to rent a car and that other costs were covered. I have printed out the article Chloe and will sit down with my son tonight and have a good read. 
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    That's great @KittyTinker! Please do let us know how you get on. :)
    Scope

• hatchback9
    hatchback9 Community member Posts: 5 Listener
    hi kitty tinker
    my son passed his test under his own steam as he had no disability  but i have he got free motorway driving lessons with bill plant though motability which were excellent for him to learn coming off and on a motorway ring there customer service for your lad they are very understanding he might get free lessons be automatic or not good luck
  • KittyTinker
    Thanks Hatchback9 yes it does sound great I’ve called motobility and I do think it’s the way to go. I’m just waiting for his provisional to come through so we can get an assessment through his OT or physio. Then the fun begins. ?
  • hatchback9
    hatchback9 Community member Posts: 5 Listener
    good luck kitty tinker motobility  customer service is great for getting to know things and ihope its not to long before he gets his licence he will be fine because he has got great parents behind him that will give him confidence ;)

Brightness