Esa increase — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Esa increase

starbuck
starbuck Community member Posts: 172 Courageous
Has anyone else had a letter saying their esa is increasing in April?

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,922 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

Yes, this is the usual annual increase letter that is sent around this time of year.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • starbuck
    Did esa increase every year? I thought benefits were frozen until this year?
  • 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,568 Disability Gamechanger
    Mine have gone up every year. PIP as well.

They go up because of inflation.
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,609 Disability Gamechanger
    Some benefits have increased by 1% some have been frozen, the good news is from this April they will increase by 1.7%.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• poppy123456
    starbuck said:
    Did esa increase every year? I thought benefits were frozen until this year?

Some elements of ESA increase each April. Main phase £73.10 per week has been frozen since 2016 the same as Income Support and JSA.

PIP, Carers allowance, disability premiums all increase each April.

As @woodbine has correctly advised, all benefits will be increased from April 8th this year. The letter you received will tell you the increases, if you can understand it and that's not an easy thing to do.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • starbuck
    It certainly isn't! It turns out my husband has been underpaid esa since last April. I told income support he hadn't had an increase as stated in their calculation so they increased my income support. Now esa have found their mistake and backdated the shortfall to last April. I phoned and told them I wasn't owed anything as income support have made up the shortfall and they said it's their error so I don't have to pay back the payment they've made in error. They said they can ask for it but I don't have to pay it. Is that correct? 
    They were underpaying him just under a pound a week. 
  • poppy123456
    Yes that's correct because it's their error then you won't have to pay it back.
  • starbuck

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.