talk to me today — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

talk to me today

pollyanna1052
pollyanna1052 Community member Posts: 2,032 Disability Gamechanger
edited February 2020 in Coffee lounge
Yesterday I went to my Chit Chat club. Been going there around 4 years now and enjoy it very much.

I`ve made new friends and we have a cuppa and a bun.....some weeks we have a singer, or a talk or we play board games etc.

So yesterday`s talk was a somewhat different one. Let me explain...then  I`ll invite your thoughts.

The lady speaker told us she was born in Jamaica where people are very friendly and speak easily to strangers. She thought the weather might help towards that.

Have you noticed how us Brits smile more and say  `Good morning. Lovely day!` to strangers, when the sun is shining?

Anyway, she had come up with an idea in an effort to make us less isolated and lonely. There are many, many people in UK who are lonely and isolated. Some people choose to live like that and of course, that is their choice.

So she has made some orange wristbands, which have printed on them `Talk to me today`. We would aim our conversation at people who were alone and looked lonely.

She explained their use further and asked how many we would like? One of many, I spoke up saying I myself wouldn't need a wristband in order to talk to someone I don't know. I`ll talk to anyone!

One woman said she was horrified at the idea! She felt she wouldn't like being approached by a stranger.?????

Then we were told the bands were on sale at £1 each. I asked if it was for a charity. I was told No, it was to cover their manufacture. Mmm?

The thing puzzling me is this....if a lonely person would like to be chatted to , how will they know what the orange band meant. And what about vulnerability and safety?

Your thoughts please.

Comments

• Topkitten
    Topkitten Community member Posts: 1,285 Pioneering
    I can't say that I am impressed but then again I am having such a bad day that it's likely I cannot see the positive side of anything today.

I am much the same as you (most days) @pollyanna1052 in that I will usually talk to anyone at any time. Unfortunately, since I became house-bound, I no longer get to see anyone any more. I have noticed recently though that since a small improvement late last year I have gone out a few times by taking more medication than I should whilst arguing with GP's to be re-assessed and put onto stronger pain-killers. During these brief travels I have found it pretty much impossible to even go to places I used to as the isolation has made my mental Health issues much worse.

Good luck, and I hope things go well for you in the future.

TK
    "I'm on the wrong side of heaven and the righteous side of hell" - from Wrong side of heaven by Five Finger Death Punch.
  • Ails
    Ails Community member Posts: 2,256 Disability Gamechanger
    Yes, I am somewhat puzzled by the orange wristbands, @pollyanna1052 and don't know how they would work!  I agree with you that some people may find it intimidating if someone wearing one of these was to approach them and start chatting.  Like you, I will chat to anyone, but some people are more vulnerable or just want to keep themselves to themselves so these wristbands could cause problems.  I think in principle, the idea is good, but I just don't know how it could work successfully.  I hope you enjoyed your club and the talk anyway.  :smile:
    Winner of the Scope New Volunteer Award 2019.   :)
  • pollyanna1052
    Topkitten said:
    I can't say that I am impressed but then again I am having such a bad day that it's likely I cannot see the positive side of anything today.

I am much the same as you (most days) @pollyanna1052 in that I will usually talk to anyone at any time. Unfortunately, since I became house-bound, I no longer get to see anyone any more. I have noticed recently though that since a small improvement late last year I have gone out a few times by taking more medication than I should whilst arguing with GP's to be re-assessed and put onto stronger pain-killers. During these brief travels I have found it pretty much impossible to even go to places I used to as the isolation has made my mental Health issues much worse.

Good luck, and I hope things go well for you in the future.

TK

Thankou for your reply Topkitten.

I often read your posts and comments and see how much trouble you have getting the right level of medication. Maybe your GP feels for your condition, the dosage/type of meds is sufficient. But of course, you are the person suffering ad know your needs ...like the majority f us unwell people, we know our bodies better than anyone else. But we are bound by what our GPs/medics give us.

Isolation can be a pretty bad place, as you say....are there no chitchat type clubs you could attend? There is community transport which take many of our group to the club ad back.Best wishes to you too my friend x
  • pollyanna1052
    Ails said:
    Yes, I am somewhat puzzled by the orange wristbands, @pollyanna1052 and don't know how they would work!  I agree with you that some people may find it intimidating if someone wearing one of these was to approach them and start chatting.  Like you, I will chat to anyone, but some people are more vulnerable or just want to keep themselves to themselves so these wristbands could cause problems.  I think in principle, the idea is good, but I just don't know how it could work successfully.  I hope you enjoyed your club and the talk anyway.  :smile:

Hi Ails, thank you for your reply.

I don't think anyone at the group did buy a wristband. That sort of thing doesnt seem  right in a charity based setting. But people had the choice to buy or not.

regards Pollsx

Brightness