Disabled people
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.
Receiving too many notifications? Adjust your notification settings.

Lower back pain after operation - please help

mrsp2970mrsp2970 Member Posts: 2 Listener
edited March 2020 in Disabled people
Hi, I had cauda equine in 2000, I had an operation on my l5 s1 and I recovered pretty well, apart from muscle wastage in my right foot. However from time to time I get excruciating pain in the bottom of my back, right where I was operated on. It usually last for a couple of days, the doctor doesn’t seem concerned and just gives me more painkillers. 
Does this pain in the lower back happen to anyone else?

Replies

• chiariedschiarieds Community champion Posts: 6,896 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @mrsp2970 - Welcome to the community & thank you for joining. I'm sorry to read that you can still get bouts of excruciating pain following your surgery for Cauda Equina Syndrome. As we're not medically qualified, it's difficult to give you any answers. The usual response is to see your GP, which you already do.
    I've had a look online, & there's a charity for people who have this, & I wonder if someone there may have similar problems to yourself. You may have already come across them, but I'll send the link in case you haven't. See: https://caudaequinauk.org.uk/

• janer1967janer1967 Community champion Posts: 7,248 Disability Gamechanger
    @mrsp2970 Hello and welcome to the community, I am a community champion here at scope and just wanted to say hello and glad to see you as a new member. I don't have any valid experience of your condition so unable to respond, but im sure other members will b e able to offer advice.
  • AilsAils Community champion Posts: 2,268 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @mrsp2970 and welcome to the Community.  It is nice to meet you.  I'm sorry to hear of your health struggles and hope you find the link which @chiarieds has provided for you to be helpful.  It is probably best that you see your GP about your current pain and I hope you get on ok with this.  Please stay in touch and let us know how you get on and I hope the pain eases soon for you.  If there is anything we can help/support you with then please just let us know.  All the best.  :smile:
    Winner of the Scope New Volunteer Award 2019.   :)
  • Chloe_ScopeChloe_Scope Scope Posts: 10,662 Disability Gamechanger
    Welcome to the community @mrsp2970, I'm sorry to hear about your back pain. How are you today?
    Community Partner
    Scope

Tell us what you think?
    Complete our feedback form to help us to improve your community.
  • DrummerDrummer Member Posts: 10 Listener
    Hi, I am new here but I had spinal surgery 5 years ago and still experience pain. My spinal surgeon referred me to Pain Management and I now receive steroid injections to releave the pain, albeit it does not last forever but it does help. Perhaps go back to your GP and see what else they can do for you.
  • pollyanna1052pollyanna1052 Member Posts: 1,999 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi, have you had a scan or MRI to check if there is anything else going on in that area?

My sister has severe spinal stenosis. She`s had 2 operations on her lower back. A metal cage and screws were inserted to protect the degenerative vertebrae, with the first operation. The second was to lengthen the metal work upwards.

She is currently in a lot of pain again and has had another MRI. She is awaiting the results. She is reluctant to have a 3rd surgery, as it is extremely painful.

She says she is prepared for life in a wheelchair, as long as they find some painkillers that work. She can only take a few steps now due to pain.
Sign in or join us to comment.