Video games — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Video games

csno01
csno01 Community member Posts: 387 Pioneering
Calling all gamers

Hi guys
Video games is something I have had an interest in for many years. I thought it would be a great idea to share my hobby with others. 
This is quite a broad subject although I am most interested in:
what consoles have you owned / played on what games do you like
If there were any changes you would like to see made within a game due to your disability, what would this be?

Happy gaming!
Csno1

Comments

• April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    I used to own a DS as a child. For those with dyslexia, information could be oral and for those with dyscalculia, a in game calculator might be useful. 
  • csno01
    I used to own a DS as a child. For those with dyslexia, information could be oral and for those with dyscalculia, a in game calculator might be useful. 
    Nintendo GameBoy is the only handheld console I’ve owned although I have tested others such as the Sega game Gear.
  • Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    I used to love playing on my XBOX 360, especially The Sims and LEGO games. I can no longer play due to my central vision loss, which as a result I can't read the writing on screen. Controllers, I have poor grip and altered sensations especially in my hands so difficult to use.

I would really love to play them again.
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    A great topic @csno01! I hope others get involved. :)

I used to like playing on my Nintendo DS but since I have lost a lot of my sight it's actually something I've not picked up in a while. Although, I have never looked to see if there are any accessibility features.  
    Scope

• M_Anthony
    M_Anthony Community member, Scope Volunteer Posts: 309 Pioneering
    edited October 2019
    Hi @csno01

I mainly play older games and collect them as well. I have arcade boards which I can play on my TV. I also have a Super Nintendo, Game Boy and original XBOX.

While I am not disabled, I would say that all major games machine companies should have an option that is included in the console pack you buy, so you can choose a interface/controller that is suitable and omit the cost of a standard controller(s) included. There are first/third party solutions to buy as extras so I don't see it being a problem.
  • csno01
    Ami2301 said:
    I used to love playing on my XBOX 360, especially The Sims and LEGO games. I can no longer play due to my central vision loss, which as a result I can't read the writing on screen. Controllers, I have poor grip and altered sensations especially in my hands so difficult to use.

I would really love to play them again.
    Hi Ami, 

I never got into either of those games. For some unknown reason they never appealled to me. I guess the nearest would be Rollercoaster Tycoon on the PC which I bought on t
    a win and got hooked! 
    I am aware there is an organization in America which helps disabled people enjoy video games. Here is their website if you would like to have a look: 

Www.ablegamers.org

Like you Amy, I also have visual loss so it makes it difficult for me to read the menus on the screen. It would be great if developers could alter the code so that they could implement assisted tools within the game, to help people like us. 

I have been a fan of the PlayStation from the very beginning. I currently have a PlayStation 3 and am debating on the PlayStation 4, if not five when it comes out this time next year.

I don’t plan it that much due to my disability but enjoy it when I do.

Csno1
  • csno01
    A great topic @csno01! I hope others get involved. :)

I used to like playing on my Nintendo DS but since I have lost a lot of my sight it's actually something I've not picked up in a while. Although, I have never looked to see if there are any accessibility features.  
    Thank you Chloe. It’s good to see that it’s getting people involved. 
  • Ami2301
    I loved Rollercoaster Tycoon @csno01! Brings back some great memories. Thanks for the link, I will take a look at that. The Sims had always been a huge part of my childhood, so I was beyond excited for the release of The Sims 4 but that's when my health deteriorated so I've not been able to play it.

My husband is obsessed with video games, I've lost count how many consoles he has. He loves the PlayStation 4 and I will admit, I was an XBOX fan but now definitely a PS fan.
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    edited October 2019
    I was always a PC gamer but don't have a machine that can handle anything more strenuous than things like Rollercoaster Tycoon, The Sims or your occasional independent game now.

To be honest, I don't really have the time or energy to play more than a few minutes at a time these days anyway, which makes things like the Xbox or Switch much easier to pick up, play (lose) and then put down.

I thought The Sims 4 was very hollow and disappointing @Ami2301, so you didn't miss much. The kids love it, but what do they know?!
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • Ami2301
    But...its The Sims @Adrian_Scope! One could never get bored of it! ?
  • 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,368 Disability Gamechanger
    I have been a big video game player in the past.

I played RuneScape and World of Warcraft for many years and got quite involved with both of them.

Also I enjoyed Call of Duty - the single player missions, not the multiplayer. I liked the zombies particularly.

I would say, not so much a feature for current games but a suggestion for new games, as someone who suffers from obsessive thoughts, more games that don’t have violence in them would be a good thing. 
  • RainbowJo
    RainbowJo Community member Posts: 79 Courageous
    i play a lot of games. on my phone. iv a switch. and a ps4. 3d ds xl. 

id love to see more speach in games that can be turned on or off. 
  • Chloe_Scope
    That would be really helpful @RainbowJo!
    Scope

• Si_Obhan
    Si_Obhan Community member Posts: 34 Courageous
    I play a lot of different games... I’m happy to send people my gamertag. I’ve found that since I have glaucoma losing 1/3rd of my vision in my “good” eye and splints on my fingers it’s hard to see fast moving text and/or participate in real time combat.

I’ve rediscovered my love for story adventure games or games with turn based combat. This means I can take my time to use the controller in the way that’s the most comfortable for me, usually one handed.

One game series I found this easy to do with was Banner Saga. Because it’s like D&D but in video game format you move, attack and then the enemy takes their turn. This means I could really enjoy the game without being killed before I could even figure out what was being said on screen. Other games that I have liked due to not feeling under pressure are card games like Magic the Gathering, and stories like What Remains of Edith Finch, Tacoma and Thimblweed Park. All dialogue/puzzle heavy adventure games that are more about the story than combat. Great if your reactions aren’t the best for whatever reason.
  • deb74
    deb74 Community member Posts: 814 Pioneering
    When I was a kid I was obsessed by Pacman. I haven't really played many computer games for a while but over the last couple of weeks I have got back into play solitaire on my laptop. 
  • Chloe_Scope
    Thank you for sharing this with us @Si_Obhan! I used to be into gaming quite a bit. Yet following a deterioration in my sight it became really hard. I should probably look at ways to make it more accessible!

@deb74, solitaire is always a good one!
    Scope

• csno01
    Does anyone have a particular favourite game by console? Mine was Destruction Derby 2 on PlayStation 1. You earned points for crashing your car lol. 
  • mousey
    mousey Scope Member Posts: 43 Courageous
    I game a lot, it's been a lifeline for me.

For those who don't know, the current Xbox has a lot of accessibility features: https://www.xbox.com/en-GB/xbox-one/accessibility
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Any favourite games @mousey?
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Pioneering
    I don't know if anybody is a fan of The Last Of Us, but I've been reading up on the accessibility features for the upcoming sequel and it seems that Naughty Dog have put a real emphasis on making it as accessible as possible for people with various kinds of impairments.

This article is definitely worth a read. I'm a massive fan of the first game, as well as Naughty Dog's previous titles like Uncharted.

https://www.playstation.com/en-us/games/the-last-of-us-part-ii-ps4/accessibility/

Brightness