What's the best way to appeal? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

What's the best way to appeal?

william_66
william_66 Community member Posts: 13 Listener
edited February 2020 in PIP, DLA, and AA

Comments

• william_66
    Hi guys looking for advice . Just recieved  my pip notice. No points no pip. Kidney cancer bladder cancer muscular sclerosis  and diabetes.  Type 2 . Not happy . I need to appeal .got a month from now . What's the best way to appeal . Is it through  a benefits  adviser  ie cab or online . Any advice appriciated 
  • cristobal
    cristobal Community member Posts: 984 Disability Gamechanger
    @william_66 - you need to contact DWP and ask for what's called a 'mandatory reconsideration' - you've got a month.

Be aware though that PIP is about functionality - what tasks you can/ can't do - not about how many conditions you're diagnosed with...

How many points do you think that you should have scored?

Good luck. Post again if you need more advice.
  • william_66
    Ok thanks I've got a adviser on my case I believe  I should of scored 9 points or more . My face to face assessment  I believe  was not a true reflection on my daily  life and how it affects me   .ie pain . Discomfort etc. My mobility is affected by  my condition  and  funcionality.  
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi Its good to hear you have an advisor just be aware thno that it is yourself that knows more about how your condition affects you than anyone else.

You need to make sure the advisor gets this across in the MR concentrating on where you think you should have scored points and why. Give examples of what happened last few times you tried to do the activity.

Also not many MR are successful and you get the same outcome , however some are . But if not successful then you will need to go to tribunal and these have a higher success rate. However the process does take a long time with people waiting in excess of 12 months for court dates.

Good luck and any further help let us know
  • william_66
    Ok thanks yes we will be exporing  all avenues on Tues 3rd. I will be stateing  how it affects me  how the face to face assessment  have got it wrong.  Il keep you updated thanks William 
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Try not to concentrate on what the assessor got wrong this wont do you any favours. Just look at descriptors and why you think you should have scored 
  • william_66
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Listener
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • william_66
    Ok thanks ye I've sent medical evidence  to them of my diagnosis   .yes I will concentrate  on how it affects me  on a daily basis .were going to go through each paragraph  were no points were awarded and tell them how it affects me  
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,352 Disability Gamechanger
    HI,

I would also advise you to add a couple of real life examples of what happened the last time you attempted that activity for each descriptor that applies to you.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • william_66
    Ye ok poppy I might do that because  there has being a few incidents  regarding  my  weakness and mobility . Ie in the kitchen  .and  attempting  the stairs .
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Listener
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • cristobal
    cristobal Community member Posts: 984 Disability Gamechanger
    Ye ok poppy I might do that because  there has being a few incidents  regarding  my  weakness and mobility . Ie in the kitchen  .and  attempting  the stairs .
    @william_66 .. giving examples, and concentrating on what you can do NOT on diagnosis is sound advice.

Personally I'd avoid how you manage the stairs as this isn't covered under any of the PIP activities - if you have difficulties with mobility stick to outside on the level...
  • william_66
    Ye ok thanks il focus on how its affects me daily and medication  .
  • Sherbet
    Sherbet Community member Posts: 1 Connected
    you also officially have 13 months to appeal so don't rush if you are waiting for more evidence...Hope it all goes well for you ..

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,352 Disability Gamechanger
    Sherbet said:
    you also officially have 13 months to appeal so don't rush if you are waiting for more evidence...Hope it all goes well for you ..

Hi and welcome,

Yes, you do but with good reason and you must state the reason why you're requesting it outside the first month.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • soconfused
    soconfused Community member Posts: 102 Courageous
    I just blamed the post - it was a a month and a half late and they accepted it. The post box I use is known for having mail go missing from it anyway but it's the only one. 
  • william_66
  • william_66
    Morning  .mandatory  reconsideration  completed fri.  Sent off . Explained  how my  health condition  affects me daily. And  went through  each paragraph and why I should of scored more points .on each of them . Waiting  now for the reply . 
  • Alice_Holt
    Alice_Holt Community member Posts: 46 Courageous

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.