Is there a way to access help when applying to buy a mobility scooter? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Is there a way to access help when applying to buy a mobility scooter?

JohnEmile
JohnEmile Community member Posts: 29 Connected
As in how to fill the financial section in when applying etc. and to check I'm actually getting a legitimate deal and such?  I have found one I like and can store in my hallway, but as it's fairly new not many of the major stores eg: Motability ones, don't stock them and I want/need a few options like a more powerful engine, solid tyres etc, as it's fairly hilly around here.
Any advice or help welcome.

Comments

• wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello, if your planning on using your mobility scooter on the pavement then you want a class 2 or 3 model. The basic car boot shopping mall type are not made for everyday pavement usage no suspension small wheels and restrictions on distance and power. You have to have a safe storage area with a nearby charging point for a bigger scooter. Taking into account turning circle, width of gateway's and other obstacles that can put restrictions on your travels. 
  • JohnEmile
    the one I was wanting is this:

Electric Mobility Scooter Unique500, by GreenPower, it's a good size, easy to get on and off, small enough to sit in my hall safely and the optional extras look good.

No idea why that went bold btw. So I'm trying to find out how I can get 0% finance for it that I can get from my PIP, and first saving up the deposit.

• Misscleo
    Misscleo Community member Posts: 647 Pioneering
    Please let us know how that works out
  • Firefly123
    Firefly123 Community member Posts: 530 Pioneering
    is it one like this you are looking for I have been doing a lot of research for myself decided to buy it from amazon as works out so very much less than using your mobility its just under £1100  but yes you can do it through mobility but I thought the prices were very expensive. 
  • JohnEmile
    This is the one I wanted, this should show the options, I'm not sure if this image is allowed, if not please delete.

• Firefly123
    Firefly123 Community member Posts: 530 Pioneering
    That one is also pretty cool. I'm getting mine delivered on Monday looking forward to having some independence back as using a wheelchair at the moment but need someone to push it.. See how much more you would have to pay through mobility. 
  • exdvr
    exdvr Community member Posts: 331 Pioneering
    Big hefty class 3 scooter but do you really need all the bells and whistles?   Because of its 175cm length it may be difficult to manoeuvre in shops and other tight spaces.....do you really need a 45 mile range because in my humble opinion a 25 mile range is more than enough.   I don't mean to decry your choice but it's an awfully large amount of money to spend. Take your time to decide before signing up to anything.  Good luck trying to get 0% finance too.

Best wishes.

DLTBGYD

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,348 Disability Gamechanger
    HI,

It's a very nice scooter but i agree that it's very big and most likely you won't be able to use it in most shops. Would you be able to walk around the shops, if this happened? Personally, i wouldn't be able to do that and when choosing a mobility scooter i would need to think practical.

As for the 0% finance then this maybe difficult. Good luck, which ever scooter you choose.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • JohnEmile
    I can get about with 2 sticks atm, I have a frame for bad days.
    This is more about escaping from the house for a while, popping to the shop for something or just tootling about, the farthest I have been out for over a year is to drop rubbish in the bin, so just being able to be outside for a bit would be good.
  • TomD77
    TomD77 Community member Posts: 10 Connected
    edited June 2020
    Hi John I think the scooter you want is lovely but personally It looks a bit overpriced. I have been fond of another distributor, also UK based like the one you have posted. I mean I checked the specifications of what you wanted to buy throughly and this one is both cheaper AND can carry heavier weight (as a big guy myself this is important) Basically same thing you consider but IMO better.

Brightness