When will I start receiving the LCWRA payment? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

When will I start receiving the LCWRA payment?

laurapeach
laurapeach Community member, Scope Member Posts: 114 Pioneering
Hi all,

I understand there is a 3 month wait to get the additional payment etc, I am just struggling to figure out which month the first payment will go in. My first sick note went in on 21/01/2020 and my assessment period normally runs from the 4th - 3rd of the month. Am I right in thinking I would get the first payment in my May entitlement?

Are there any exceptional circumstances where this might change? I am single mum to a 5 year old and being without the extra money and no wages is going to make a tough few months once my work contract ends at the end of March.
Mum of one little girl.

I am AuDHD and I have M.E/CFS and POTS.

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,320 Disability Gamechanger
    edited February 2020
    Hi,

I note that you have only very recently sent your fit note, usually the work capability assessment form is sent once your work coach refers you for the work capability assessment. Has this been done yet if so have you attended a work capability assessment because most people have them.

A decision won't be made until you've returned that form and sent all your evidence to support your claim and a decisions been made. If the decision is LCWRA then you'll receive the extra £336 per month in your 4th month of your claim but the waiting period is 3 full assessment periods. If the decision is just LCW then you won't receive any extra money.

Unless you're claiming for a terminal illness with a diagnosis of less than 6 months or you were previously claiming ESA in a group and then there's no waiting period.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • laurapeach
    Hi Poppy,

I've already had my work capability assessment and I was awarded LCWRA, I am just wondering what month that would be paid in. Sorry, I should have made that clearer in my post!
    Mum of one little girl.

• poppy123456
    Then your first payment of the extra £336 will be in your May payment, your thoughts are correct.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • laurapeach
    Okay thank you, I think I will get one last wage from my current work at the end of March and then that stops. I will have to budget a bit between now and then!

Thank you for your help :)
    Mum of one little girl.

• laurapeach
    Also, do you know if there is any particular reason they make people wait for 3 months if they have been deemed unfit to work?! It seems really unfair.
    Mum of one little girl.

• poppy123456
    The waiting period always applies, it was exactly the same rules for the old ESA, except the "waiting period", known as the assessment period for ESA was 13 weeks.
  • laurapeach
    edited February 2020
    The waiting period always applies, it was exactly the same rules for the old ESA, except the "waiting period", known as the assessment period for ESA was 13 weeks.

But with ESA you get money during the assessment period don't you? 
    Mum of one little girl.

• poppy123456
    Yes you do and the same with Universal credit BUT as you're receiving earnings from your employer then this will affect the amount of UC you're entitled to.

As you have a child then the work allowance will automatically apply to you so this means that you'll be able to earn a certain amount of money before you see any reductions.

What your work allowance is will depend on your circumstances. If you receive the housing element then your work allowance is £287 per month, if you don't then it will be £503 per month.

For you, then it will totally depend on what earnings are received during your assessment period.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.