Washing my hands of Covid-19 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Washing my hands of Covid-19

Options
JenCo
JenCo Community member Posts: 122 Pioneering
All of my life I got strange looks in public bathrooms because of the way I washed my hands. My mother was a GP and she taught us to wash our hands pretty meticulously. I mean... ready to scrub in on a surgery kind of meticulous. So many hand moisturisers and creams have been gotten through...

But here I sit reading about Covid-19 and well, well, well! Aren't I smug? I'm going to love this while it lasts before my rubbish immune system crashes and burns under the onslaught of a new virus. Right now though, smug as a bug in a rug... or something...

Anyway! Here are my top tips on hand washing because I know some of my friends on here have similar immune systems or lack thereof and I'm hoping you're all safe and minding yourselves:

- wash with water first. This can be (irronically) the dry run for the real thing. Wash with just water as if you have soap on. You're loosening up particles you may not be able to see and breaking down greasy layers. 

- add soap! If it's liquid read the label for the recommended amount. If it's a bar lather until both hands have a bubbly layer.

- gently scratch the palm of your hand with your fingernails. This cleans under your nails and gets even more stubborn grease and grime off the most used parts of your hands, your palms and fingertips. 

- close your fingers around your thumb and rotate (gently... don't go crackin' any digits off with your new found passion for hand washing) back and forth. Do the same with each finger and then do the same on the other hand. 

- wash the back of your hands! People always forget.

- wash your wrists, front and back. People... always... forget. Think about how you lean on a desk when you type or eat... have you washed those parts of your hands, wrists and arms?

- lather up jewellery if you wear any. They need washing too.

- Rinse more than you think you need to. 

- wash for longer than you think you need to. If you haven't hummed "Happy Birthday" twice while washing your hands then you haven't washed for long enough (seriously! Give it at least 20 seconds)

- Air dry if you don't have a clean towel handy.

Best of luck everyone! 
I hope the above is helpful. Whatever happens, be sure to check in regularly on NHS updates and follow their guidelines.
And whatever else the media tells you about Covid-19 (Coronavirus) don't panic! There's a vaccine on the way and we'll be fine with a good dose of common sense to get us through. 

Comments

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,621 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Great advice thanks for sharing.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Thank you for sharing Im sure lots of members will welcome this 
  • OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,616 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    As a severe contamination OCD sufferer, washing my hands hundreds of times a day, I really don't believe that any extra handwashing in 'normal' people will stop the virus spreading.  It's incredibly small and transmitted in water droplets...  If someone with the virus coughs, sneezes or even speaks around you, chances are you'll get covered in it.  If it doesn't immediately get in through your open mouth/nose/eyes you're sure to push it in there sooner or later by simply wiping your nose with a tissue for example.  If it still hasn't got in, it'll end up on your pillow from your face/hair which then inevitably ends up in your mouth or eyes.  The advice should be to keep washing your face, but obviously that's not practical!  

The only way to avoid it is to avoid people and any public areas altogether, but again, not possible.

I must admit, it does amaze me that even in 2020 the NHS are having to give out advice asking people to use tissues and wash their hands... :#
  • pollyanna1052
    pollyanna1052 Community member Posts: 2,032 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I had a blood test yesterday and asked the nurse if we should be panicking over corona virus.

She said people are doing so unneccesarily. She said it isn't any different to winter flu we get here every year...apart from those people with low immunity.

I said I am not on any DMDs but hubby is. He will be more at risk.

But wash our hands regularly.

You cant buy hand sanitiser anywhere!

My carers are washing their hands 50 times a day!

• JenCo
    JenCo Community member Posts: 122 Pioneering
    Options
    It is shocking how little people seemed to know about handwashing before this *shudder*
  • pollyanna1052
    pollyanna1052 Community member Posts: 2,032 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I recommend you reading Abdu Sharkaway`s statement on COVID-19.....AMAZING!

Brightness