New claim for Pip waiting times? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

New claim for Pip waiting times?

Options
HarmstonRebecca
HarmstonRebecca Community member Posts: 5 Connected
Hi everyone. I filled in a PIP form and returned it in mid December 2019 along with 70 pages of medical evidence including scans and xrays. I have crohns, short bowel, arthritis and spondylosis.

I know the form has been received as I had a text. Since then I haven't heard anything about it. Not even a letter to arrange an assessment.

Just wondered if anyone else knows about current waiting times. Last time I tried to claim I had an assessment and rejection quickly.

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,006 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi,

There's no timescales, it depends on backlog in your area. A successful claim could potentially take several months in some areas, maybe longer.

70 pages of evidence is an awful lot, i must admit and they may not read all of that. For evidence, less is often more. Unless a piece of evidence states how your conditions affect you, then you need to think is it worth sending it.

You say that you were previously refused. May i ask if you requested the MR and Tribunal for that decision? If you didn't was there any reasons why?
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,618 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    It really depends on how busy they are in your area, tbh 70 pages of evidence is a lot and they probably wouldn't know what they are looking at when you send x-rays scans too much information often doesn't help, have you phoned them to ask when to expect a face to face assessment?
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• HarmstonRebecca
    HarmstonRebecca Community member Posts: 5 Connected
    Options
    I didn't appeal last time as I know you're unlikely to be awarded pip for crohns. My health has got worse and I now have problems with my spine and severely trapped leg nerves so will appeal this time. The lady I spoke to said to send everything relating to condition do maybe they are still waiting on reports.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,006 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    PIP isn't awarded based on a diagnosis, it's how those conditions affect your ability to carry out daily activity based on the PIP descriptors. A face to face assessment is most likely.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Toffee
    Toffee Community member Posts: 251 Pioneering
    Options
    Best off l ck 
  • Fetlock
    Fetlock Community member Posts: 79 Courageous
    Options
    Sending in scans and X rays and photos is pointless because, once scanned and uploaded onto the system, they just appear as a black page of useless blurb
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Welcome to the community @rosielx! Please do let us know how you get on and if there is anything else we can do to help. :)
    Scope

• anisty
    anisty Community member Posts: 354 Pioneering
    Options
    I am in scotland and put my son's application form in the post 8th jan. A few days later i got a letter to say they hadnt received any reply from me and they were giving me til 6th feb to respond.

I phoned them straight away on getting this letter and they confirmed they had received my application and it had been scanned to their system 14th january.

The man i spoke to was very helpful and friendly and he did make the comment 'oh, yes i can see you have sent a lot of evidence in with the form'

I was quite surprised as i felt i hardly had any evidence to send in compared to when my son was younger and heavily involved with nhs services.

This time i had sent a cognitive report comprising 4 pages of A4 (8 sides of text)

And an autism report 2 pages A4 with 4 sides text.

And a single page language report.  So 7 sheets seems to be what they call 'a lot'

Yesterday (22nd feb) i received a letter saying they have all the info they need to make a decision. No face to face invite.

So 5 weeks from them having received the form to this letter.

Though i understand it can be many many more weeks until we hear a decision.

If you call them, you might find them helpful as i did. And maybe they can let you know where abouts in the system your claim is. Good luck!

• Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @rosielx, how are you getting on? :)
    Scope

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.