How do I get a grant for a wheelchair? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

How do I get a grant for a wheelchair?

shelllbeee
shelllbeee Community member Posts: 6 Listener
My name is shelley I had a stroke then pulmonary embolisms then I was diagnosed with mitral and aortic regurgitation
                           I’m 48 years old I had my stroke just after my 40th birthday how lovely I could talk hold anything I had gamma knife surgery to try and get the scar tissue out as the stroke brought my epilepsy back with a vengeance I still have between 1-3 seizures a week I tried and tried for 2 years to walk but my physiotherapist say me down and said shelley I’ve never seen someone so determined I kept eating them at so I had to accept I will be in a wheelchair forever I  was an athlete,martial artist 2 silver European medals in the top 50 in the world I had cancer and could not continue.
     But I taught children for 5 years I power walked 4 mikes a day no drinking smoking yet the bad people get away with everything I cannot even get a wheelchair which will fit in my home as I am 6” tall the last & years have been very hard I’ve spent over 3 yrs on and off.
                 Why can’t adults get grants for a wheelchair 10% if grants are for adults instead of children none of us asked for this yet we are treated appallingly I’ve been punch kicked wooden boxes fall on my head if anyone can help me get a grant for a wheelchair which can fit in my home was a k4 which I could get around my home the council let me down I lived in my lounge for 4 years got nowhere saved up for a stairlifts just to have some piece upstairs.
      I’m housebound because I haven’t got a reliable chair now it’s 7 years old now I got hit by a bicycle he just got up and rode off cost me quite a lot to get it fixed.
      Please please please can you help me find a grant I have applied for 10 grants I haven’t asked for the full funding if anyone has any services I might have them already but if anyone has a positive answer it would be nice 
     Lovely to speak to you all 
kindest
Regards
shelllbeee 

Comments

• thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    edited February 2020
    Hello @shelllbeee   Pleased to meet you.

Thank you for joining and sharing.

I am one of the team of Community Champions.  We guide, advise and help members of our Community.

Please if you looking for grants.  Might be worth looking at the following links.

Money Advice Service  

https://www.moneyadviceservice.org.uk.

Helpline 0800 138 7777

Has lots of information on finance .

Turn2us 

Organisation has a wealth of information on applying for support, grants and anything else.

https://www.turn2us.org.uk.

Please I am also going to tag in one of the team from SCOPE.

@Adrian_Scope   @Chloe_Scope      please can you help any further this new member thank you.

Please hope that helps some one will be in touch to advise you .

Please take care.

@thespiceman

Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @shelllbeee Hello and welcome to the community, I am a community champion here at scope. I am sorry to hear about your issues with wheelchairs I am also a wheelchair user but without your issues. Have you tried wheelchair services who do assessments and will get you appropriate chair. Also have you thought of referring to yourself to social services to request a care needs assessment, they will assess and recommend any aids or equipment you require you can do this online through the gov.uk website, type in care needs assessment. Another way if yu claim PIP is to use motability scheme if your award is enhanced rate for mobility. Hope some of this helps keep us ujpdated
  • shelllbeee
    Wheelchair services gave me cost value which they get £895 6 years ago I got £1690 they made me a chair which was over a metre ling as I’m 6” tall I couldn’t do a 360 180 or 45 degrees it’s been a nightmare every time I go to hospital social services begin again every time I’ve never asked for nothing apart from a chair my husband and family saved up to help me with my first chair and the cost if a stairlift as I was living in the lounge for  4 years I r received little help and I’m going to have open heart surgery I’m on the list and I’m banned from my electric chair as I’m severely epileptic too and a tumour in my pituitary gland all I want is some wheels I miss my legs but have accepted I’ll never walk. Again .
          They are my legs and I’m getting nowhere all I want is my legs my wheels without a wheelchair I’m housebound for 5 years now no dace to face conversation just text calls occasionally this my life !!! 
  • Ails
    Ails Community member Posts: 2,256 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @shelllbeee and welcome to the Community.  It is nice to meet you.  I'm really sorry to hear of your health struggles and your current situation with getting a wheelchair.  I had a wee look online and came across this organisation who maybe able to help - https://www.themobilityaidscentre.co.uk/content/get-funding-new-wheelchair/

You may want to take a look at it.  Meantime, I wish you well in finding a grant to get a new wheelchair and please stay in touch and let us know how you get on.  If there is anything at all we can help/support you with then please just ask.  All the best.  :smile:
    Winner of the Scope New Volunteer Award 2019.   :)
  • shelllbeee
    That’s so very nice of you I would like to make some friends too 
         It’s awful having your own company 12-14 hours a day many carers just get on with things and they don’t really sit down and have a intellectual conversation 
          I miss it I loved my job it was different everyday if anyone ever fancies a chat I help many other people so I’m here to listen to anyone I was a volunteer councillor for both severe epileptics and brain disorders with children. I’m a good listener 
    thank you for the link I will look it up straight away.
        I appreciate it very much 
  • shelllbeee
    I would just like to thank everyone for making me feel so welcome it is nice we have each other rather than most people avoiding us like the plague lol 
  • Ails
    Ails Community member Posts: 2,256 Disability Gamechanger
    You are very welcome @shelllbeee.  Glad we could be of help to you.  Thank you for your offer of help to us also.  I'm sure you will make a very valuable contribution to the Community.  I look forward to seeing you on here.  All the best.  :smile:
    Winner of the Scope New Volunteer Award 2019.   :)
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Welcome to the community @shelllbeee, great to have you with us!

You might find this grant checker useful. We also have some information on wheelchair and how to access support.
    Scope

• shelllbeee
    Hi everyone thank you so much for such a lovely welcome you have made me feel like someone cares and not just forgotten in a snow globe this has been a traumatic change to all my families life I can’t even hold my granddaughter due to these new safe guarding my daughter would be in trouble which is so hurtful it was my family I keep fighting for I was told I would die many times in my life and I beat the odds ,
              Why is it people treat us this way we never asked for it worked hard and yet when you need help it’s like they are saying tuff titty excuse the language,ibut true diversity doesn’t apply to us which is completely disgraceful race gender mental health and others get support as well as the stress of trying to find a grant I had a mild heart attack and will be going for open heart surgery within the next 20 weeks.
          How can I get care afterwards I have carers they have dealt with open heart surgery my GP has been a god send as soon as we have a date the community care team and the district nurses and my GP.
          They are willing to go out of their way to make sure I have the correct care I really want to fight for all of us stroke patients are getting younger.My granddad had 4 strokes and he wished he could swap it over if he could he’s 91 and can still walk

I WANT TO FIGHT FOR US SO MUCH I DO NOT WANT US TO EXCLUDED FROM SOCIETY!!
    we are human beings have feelings with little support when you are younger.
           I thank everyone so much for all your support and places where I can get a grant for my wheelchair.
        Does anyone know where I can get small grants for less than £500 so we can prepare for equipment I will need like some form of monitor which is around the house so people know when I need them without having to shout all the time or use the phone which takes longer 
          I wish everyone well smile everyday I have on my phone every morning    Shelllbeee smile you are worth it my husband and my big brother send theirs to me everyday no one can believe how I deal with everything you just have too you have to control it and not let it control you.
       You all are worth it remember that l wish you all a wonderful weekend but if anyone wants a chat I only use feb messenger but look for shelley burchtt balding 
     bye bye for now love to everyone your worth it 

• Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @shelllbeee, how are you getting on? :)
    Scope

• shelllbeee
    Your all so wonderful and your all worth it      
          O
    think a petition give equality to everyone and make grants more at wheelchair services ax I found out that’s not the cost price that’s the nhs cost price which makes it worse situation 
    I was a legal administrator and I worked in a call centre so if you need a hand with call I’m quite willing to help out I’m a giver not a taker I like to help others more than myself 

Brightness