Wheelchair user calls for better shop access – BBC News — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Wheelchair user calls for better shop access – BBC News

Options
Chloe_Scope
Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
A man from Kent, who surveyed his local shops, found that half were not equipped for wheelchair users. Martyn Kitney, who has muscular dystrophy, is calling for businesses in Rochester High Street to take action. The Equality Act places a duty on shops to make reasonable adjustments to ensure services are accessible.

You can read the full article here: Wheelchair user calls for better shop access – BBC News

What would you like to change in your local area? Let us know in the comments below!
Scope

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi I live in a small old mining village with approx. 30 shops , I can only access about 5 of them if on my own on my scooter and a few of them if my son pushes my wheelchair. But lots are just too small to get around in a chair or steps into them
  • Misscleo
    Misscleo Community member Posts: 647 Pioneering
    Options
    Wr in the 21st centry and still people cant get into shops.
    Nor museums nor many beauty sites.
    Why does our government allow this disgraceful behaviour.
    Theres is still the problem of people in wheelchairs not given the correct respect when they need to get on a bus or train. 
    Wr in the 21st century !!!
  • Ails
    Ails Community member Posts: 2,256 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    We live in a semi-rural village and there are only a small amount of shops here and most of them I can access myself either on my scooter or in my wheelchair.  Two of them are very small and I wouldn't even attempt to access them.  It isn't until I go into the next town where I find the problem if I am on my own as the majority of shops there have a couple of steps up to them so only usually access one or two of them.  It is a bit of a pain as there are shops which I would enjoy browsing, but can't.  I agree, it is terrible in this day and age that disabled people are still facing these huge barriers to access.  Good on the Rochester man for taking up this fight and highlighting it.  Thanks for sharing @Chloe_Scope:smile:
    Winner of the Scope New Volunteer Award 2019.   :)

Brightness

Disclaimer

Our website contains links to third parties’ websites for your information only.

We have no control over the content of those sites or resources and we don’t endorse or accept liability for the content of them.

Read the full Terms and Conditions and our Community House Rules.