When to start ESA application? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

When to start ESA application?

Alpine88
Alpine88 Community member Posts: 13 Listener
Hi

I have been medically dismissed from my employer with my employment officially ending on 24/03. 

When should I submit my ESA application?

Thanks
Laura

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,329 Disability Gamechanger
    edited March 2020
    HI,

You will need your SSP1 form and a fit note to be able to claim New style ESA. If your SSP has ended then you can claim New style ESA now. This will pay £73.10 per week assessment rate and is paid for 1 year unless placed into the Support Group.

You will also need to have paid enough NI contributions in the years April 2017 to March 2019.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Alpine88
    Thanks Poppy. I think I'll book in with CAB to help me fill it out. I will book an appt over the next couple of weeks. My employer dismissed me after the Occupational Dr declared me unfit for work but my actual sick note from my GP runs out this week so I'll need to get a new one. How long can they do it for in terms of number of months? My understanding is that once im awarded ESA I wont have to send in sick notes? 
    Thanks
  • poppy123456
    You're welcome. How long your GP gives you the fit note for will depend on your GP. If you've paid enough NI contributions in those 2 years then you will be awarded ESA at the assessment rate as stated above.

The application form to apply for this is quite straight forward so you should be able to fill it in yourself, without help from an advice centre. It's basic information about yourself, where you worked, for how long and how long you received SSP for and when it stopped. See the form here. https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/797705/nsesaf1-print.pdf

You will need to continue to send in the fit notes until you have the work capability assessment form. How long this takes will depend on backlogs in your area and there's no timescales. You will eventually be sent the work capability assessment form ESA50 to fill in and return with all your relevant evidence to support your claim. This form you may need help with.  A face to face assessment is most likely because most people have them.

Once a decision's been made you'll either be placed into the WRAG (work related group) Support Group or fit for work. If you're placed into the support group you'll receive £111.65 per week and it's paid for as long as you remain in that group. WRAG and your money stays the same but only paid for 1 year. Fit for work and your ESA stops.

Do be aware that the work capability assessment is about the work you can do and not the work you can't do. You will be assessed on your ability to do any type of work and not just the work that you were dismissed for recently. I'd advise you to do some research because having some understanding on the process, the descriptors and what they mean will always help.

Hope this helps more.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Alpine88
    Thankyou Poppy that is really helpful. I will have a look at the form today and send it explaining my employment ceases on 24/03 due to being medically dismissed. 

Thanks for your help :)
  • poppy123456
    You're welcome.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    @Alpine88 Glad to welcome you here, you have been advised already about the best way to go about claiming benefits, I hope it all works out for you 
  • Alpine88
    Just wanted to confirm I am now in receipt of ESA plus a UC small amount which was an unexpected extra. Thanks for your help x
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    That's great @Alpine88. Really pleased it's worked out for you. 
    Community Manager
    Scope

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.