homeless — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

homeless

pollyanna1052
pollyanna1052 Community member Posts: 2,032 Disability Gamechanger
Hello all.
I was out for my weekly airing with carer yesterday in Huddersfield.

I guess we are used to seeing the homeless begging on our streets now.

It depends very much how I feel when I see one of these people. I often give them £1...once or twice  have bought them food...or a blanket.

Are they genuinely homeless, are they taking the mick? I just feel glad it`s not me or any of my family.

Yesterday I saw a fella. He wasn't begging..just walking up and down with a poncho on him, carrying 2 or 3 bags...hmmm....I was in a café eating when I saw him.....oh my conscience was doing overtime.

Anyway, he was still there when we came out. I went up to him and asked if he was homeless. He said he was and cant sign on...??? I asked him where he slept in this bitter cold..he said Sainsbury`s doorway. I gave him £1.

Further on I saw a woman begging.   She was 50+ and covered in a coat and wraps...God this one got to me...really got to me...I asked her I she was homeless...she shrugged...shook her head....I asked where she was from....Romania she replied....I filled up..tearful....I gave her some money.

I really was fighting back tears...what is this world coming to? I went into a charity shop, bought a thick woolly scarf and took it to her.

I`m filling up now writing this......................

Comments

• thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @pollyanna1052   Sorry to hear you had to experience the members of our society who having problems living on the street and having difficulties.

I used to volunteer for many charities done lunches and light bites soup..

Which included many of my own Community addiction histories and this Community.

Sneaked them extra portions or wrapped them up to have later.  

Emotional hard to comprehend.

Understand it is becoming hard  to see these members of our society having troubles.

Long term health conditions, addiction, other health issues.

Reason why a lot of the issues I talk about Mental Health need to be addressed any one coming on.

This has been going on too long heart-breaking and emotional I know.

I used to do Crisis in Christmas something seriously wrong a whole family living on the street. Staying in hostels if they can get a bed for the night.

Or meeting a guy in Newcastle Forty years on the street an alcoholic, lived and died on the street.

Used to do Antique Collectors Fairs and places where poverty high, loads of those living on the street.

I used to offer them cups of tea and sandwiches for helping me, never money.

Could be spent on drugs, or alcohol.  Bought cigarettes.  Then gave them the change.

I had a clear out warm clothes coats anything to help.

Simple stories all the same had wife or children could not cope with addiction or mental health or living in a home.

Had heard the problems need a home for a job no home no job.

Or got a home no furniture been waiting benefit money for furniture and anything else . Needed.

Charity supposed to help being part of one particular waiting three months loan and support.

Glad to just be supportive. 

I know SCOPE and other Charities doing a lot to highlight issues.

Please take care.

@thespiceman

Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    @pollyanna1052 It is awful how many people are out there homeless and something I came close to last year but was luckily offered a bungalow at the last minute for me and my son, I was so scared of having to live on the streets being in a wheelchair and with young child. What is this country coming to. 

I have worked all my life and overnight became disabled preventing me from working, and I cant believe the struggle it is to get support from our government when we need it, they were happy to take my contribution to society every payday, but very reluctant to pay any back when needed.

Anyway rant over I don't see many homeless as I don't het out but do see lots on TV about it, I feel for those that are genuine but also there are some who beg on the streets then return to a warm home and bed at night but use the begging money to finance themselves

Also there are others who beg to fund their alcohol or drugs. That is why I feel that it is better to give assistance in way of like you did some warm clothing, blankets, food and so on and also give them advice of charities and organisations that could help. 

Just my opinion and view on this topic

• pollyanna1052
    Hi janer.....oh my word....I am so glad for you that you did get housed.

Things can change overnight for anybody, through no fault of their own.

Pollsx
  • 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,368 Disability Gamechanger
    That is very nice of you to help them out like that
  • Bridget14
    Bridget14 Community member Posts: 58 Courageous
    Homelessness will never go away sorry to say this but not whilst so many charities can make money from it. How can a ceo  justify taking £120,000 plus wage, on the back of someone sleeping outside in all weather? This is not just one ceo how many homeless charities are there, were are their offices based, how many admin, managers etc and were does their income come from in many instances people giving their time voluntary. The system needs a shack up lock stock and barrel
    Why cannot government, councils etc purchase property instead of housing associations etc and let people pay their rent direct to them. No third party sales just straight forward business. The government/council own the property so its counted as an asset, the money for property will be repaid several times over so investment in future. No brainer.
  • pollyanna1052
    I agree Bridget..a lot of problems are made worse by big wigs in charity...sadly
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Thank you for sharing this with us @pollyanna1052, it can be really hard to see people like this. I'm sure they are very grateful for your support. :)
    Scope

Brightness