keeping mobility scooter — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

keeping mobility scooter

ballkeeper
ballkeeper Community member Posts: 80 Pioneering
just wondering how you keep your scooter if you you cant keep it indoors,

use a cover will that stop it rusty away ??

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    hi @ballkeeper I keep my scooter outside in my back garden with a cover on, however this isn't the best idea the cover gets blown off in the strong winds. It has been outside a year and doesn't show any signs of rust or anything. 

Ideally I would like to get a shed or one of those metal storage sheds but they have to be wide enough to get it in and out. Or I have considered a sort of awning eg just roof over my pathway  

• ballkeeper
    thanks,
    shed not really an option ,
    so poss a cover, then some lock/chain to keep it safe,
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    I hope you manage to find something that works @ballkeeper. :)
    Scope

• ballkeeper
    with these 8mph scooters are you suppose to get a log book with them when buying s/hand ??
  • Firefly123
    Firefly123 Community member Posts: 530 Pioneering
    I got a certificate with mine with all the info.. If you didn't can fill a form out on the dva website 
  • ballkeeper
    I got a certificate with mine with all the info.. If you didn't can fill a form out on the dva website 
    thanks, i havent got one yet ,i like bike type  sport rider and easy rider but also kymco agility,
    what do you have ?
  • Firefly123
    I have a bike style one I love it. Very comfy good in the supermarkets ect but obviously not in little shops Pity I now have to go into lock down.. When was just getting a bit of freedom back.. 
  • Abdi_Scope
    Abdi_Scope Scope Membership Team Posts: 265 Pioneering
    Hi @Firefly123 sorry to hear that. We are in difficult predicatment now. I am currently self isolating.  Its good that we stay up to date with government advice  - hopefully it will was pass soon. There lots of groups setting up facebook groups and providing local suport. Stay safe, stay healthy
  • Firefly123
    Hi, @Abdi_Scope yes I'm high risk and have 3 young adults with autism and other complex needs so I'm following the guidelines and staying at home.
    You and yours keep safe x
  • ballkeeper
    I have a bike style one I love it. Very comfy good in the supermarkets ect but obviously not in little shops Pity I now have to go into lock down.. When was just getting a bit of freedom back.. 
    kool post a pic if you get a chance ,well i bought one today s/h kymco agility scooter , came with log bit ,number plate seems great have a play at the weekend hopefully,

• Firefly123
    this is mine.. Your is cool I'm sure you'll enjoy it when you can ☺ 
  • icarus
    icarus Community member Posts: 31 Courageous
    hi i build and repair mobility scooters   often the battery level meter isnt waterproof and rain get inside it. Also the electrics make a low volume whistle as the horn switch is full of water. If you need to leave it outside put a plastic bag over the handlebars covering the front panel to keep it dry. If you keep the controls dry the rest of the scooter will survive outside uncovered  However it is absolutely vital that you always keep the batteries fully charged- never leave them flat or they will not last very long before failing totally. some seat cushions will hold lots of water ensuring a wet butt on every journey afterwards for weeks- so put the .cushion in a plastic bag also   If you have a rear box or bag make a small hole in the bottom of it as otherwise it may fill with rainwater one day destroying its contents 
  • Firefly123
    Thank you @icarus.good advice I did a waterproof cover not tried it out as yet. ☺ 
  • emmarenshaw
    emmarenshaw Community member Posts: 710 Pioneering
    Welcome to the community @Firefly123 I hope the cover works for you.
  • Firefly123
    Thank you. I got it from the same company I bought the scooter from. So it should do ☺ 

Brightness