Advice on changing to a joint claim and DLA — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Advice on changing to a joint claim and DLA

deebronny
deebronny Community member Posts: 32 Connected
Good afternoon, I'm looking for some advice in regards to the disabled child element of UC.
Firstly, I am awaiting a tribunal for my sons DLA as obviously I believe he is entitled to it due to his extra needs. If hes awarded DLA itll be from 18/06/2019 so almost 10 months to backdate to. 
Next, I have been claiming UC since may 2019 and I'm about to make a change to a joint claim as my partner/carer is now moving in permanently to help with the daily struggles we face as a family.

Basically I am wondering if my son is awarded his DLA will UC also backdate the disabled child element to june 2019 even though I'll be changing to a joint claim (not closing UC account) as I wouldve been entitled to it from then had he been awarded it in the first place. I cant find any information on this anywhere so I am hoping someone here can help shed some light.

Thanks

Comments

• Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,836 Scope online community team
    Hi @deebronny. Yes, the disabled child element should be backdated to the date DLA is backdated to. There can be a delay in this because they usually send it to a decision maker and they can sometimes have problems linking the previous single claim to the new joint one (when you join claims, the journal and all previous statements will vanish and it's essentially a new claim), so it may come to you in two instalments. 
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • deebronny
    Oh that's great to hear thank you so much. 
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello and welcome I am glad you hav e an answer to your query, we are always here to offer advice and support
  • deebronny
    I'm so glad I was able to get a clear answer, before making the change today I printed out all my previous statements to make it easier to link the single claim to the joint claim if the tribunal decide in our favour so thank you. I wouldve never have even thought about that if I hadn't have come on here 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.