Just received my report — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Just received my report

emmac7609
emmac7609 Community member Posts: 7 Listener
Hello! I am new here. I’ve been waiting for weeks like a lot of people, and after chasing the decision (was told it’s been sent but not had anything) I requested the report. 
I’m quite upset by what I’m reading!

Some of the things that have been said have been compared to things that are different. 
A bit of background. I was diagnosed with Lupus in 2012. I have arthritis in all my joints, alopecia, suffering with mental health because of it and also have a patella issue in my knee (on top of the arthritis)

having read the report I explained how I struggle with gripping heavy items such as pots, pans and bowls etc due to grip. My whole hand shakes, the assessor said she witnessed me putting on my scarf so it means I can do things fine!
they are completely different items. It’s based on weight!

i also live at home and my family help me with bills and planning due to the fact it confused and stressed me out. 
Again the lady said she doesn’t think I have any issues. How can she see this from a room?

i felt it went well but this has had an impact on me. I sent it all my hospital reports (I go every 6 months to rheumatology) and everything to do with operations I have had as a result.

i think it’s very unfair that someone can judge you in a room without seeing you in a natural environment. 

having added points up it looks like I won’t be getting anything. I would never have applied but did so on the basis my doctor recommended it. 

Anyone else had similar issues? 

Comments

• emmac7609
    Hello! I am new here. I’ve been waiting for weeks like a lot of people, and after chasing the decision (was told it’s been sent but not had anything) I requested the report. 
    I’m quite upset by what I’m reading!

Some of the things that have been said have been compared to things that are different. 
    A bit of background. I was diagnosed with Lupus in 2012. I have arthritis in all my joints, alopecia, suffering with mental health because of it and also have a patella issue in my knee (on top of the arthritis)

having read the report I explained how I struggle with gripping heavy items such as pots, pans and bowls etc due to grip. My whole hand shakes, the assessor said she witnessed me putting on my scarf so it means I can do things fine!
    they are completely different items. It’s based on weight!

i also live at home and my family help me with bills and planning due to the fact it confused and stressed me out. 
    Again the lady said she doesn’t think I have any issues. How can she see this from a room?

i felt it went well but this has had an impact on me. I sent it all my hospital reports (I go every 6 months to rheumatology) and everything to do with operations I have had as a result.

i think it’s very unfair that someone can judge you in a room without seeing you in a natural environment. 

having added points up it looks like I won’t be getting anything. I would never have applied but did so on the basis my doctor recommended it. 

Anyone else had similar issues? 
  • cristobal
    cristobal Community member Posts: 984 Disability Gamechanger
    edited March 2020
    @emmac7609 - a couple of things might help ...

First you need to concentrate on the functional effect of your condition -  sending all of the hospital reports probably won't help as they will most likely concentrate on your condition, diagnosis and getting you better and not whether you have difficulty dressing, preparing a meal etc. 

Next ... the assessor doesn't see you perform every task (for obvious reasons) - they form a decision based on their observations, and any evidence you have sent. They do use what they see and what you say about one thing to form a judgement on another - e.g. putting on your scarf as you have said...

They was forward is to ask for a 'Mandatory Reconsideration' (asking them to have another look essentially)

Maybe give further examples of the activities that you can/ can't do.

Eg how do you prepare a meal? Do you have lighter weight saucepans? Or anything else to help you?

Bear in mind that you are preparing a meal for one..

Good luck...
  • wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    @emmac7609 ,Hello and welcome, when you apply for the benefit pip you need to understand and focus your application on your abilities in relation to the pip descriptors . Taking a self test will give a good idea of how you would fair when you do apply, being honest and realistic of your abilities and capabilities as any evidence sent in or written on, or in your application form will have to be justified at your assessment.  Having a diagnosis, disability or illness is not an automatic pip benefit award it all relates to your abilities to preform, manage the pip descriptors safely, repeatedly and in a timely manner for most of your daily living activities. Keeping a dairy of your daily routine should help with the application form filling.
  • emmac7609
    Thank you for your replies. I struggle daily and some of the things said contradicts what I’ve said, and proved via medial letters. 
    Even being told you don’t suffer with mental health issues because you don’t ‘see’ anyone isn’t fair. My illness being stress and mental health issues with it, I can’t function on a daily basis. 
    I had a bill box to help with pills and my mum also has to remind me, but was told I could do this fine because my memory is ok.
    i also have family pay bills on my behalf because again I struggle and still I’m told I can do it!
    the whole systems is flawed. 
    The pots and pans things is ridiculous. A scarf does not weigh the same as a heavy item and you do not grip it in the same way. 

Thank you for advice 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,357 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

If you've been refused or are unhappy with the decision if it's been made then you'll have 1 month from that date to request the Mandatory reconsideration (MR) you should put this in writing stating where you think you should have scored those points and your reasons why. Then add a couple of real life examples of what happened the last time you attempted that activity for each descriptor that applies to you.

You should avoid mentioning any lies/contradictions that may have been told in the report because they won't be interested in any of those. You can't prove what did or didn't happen during the assessments. Any complaints about the report should be sent to the health assessment providers.

Do be aware that most MR decisions remain the same so you'll likely have to take it to Tribunal. Appearing in person will give you the best chance of a decision in your favour. The only downside is the backlogs are huge in most areas and lots of people are waiting about a year for a hearing date.

I'd advise you to get some expert face to face advice from an agency near you. If it gets to Tribunal and you can get representation then i'd advise you to do this. Put your postcode into this link to see what's local to you for that advice.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • emmac7609
    Thank you for that. Means a lot
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello and welcome to the community. You need to wait till you have had your final decision and then if it isn't what you agree with start the appeal process by submitting an MR. 

If you do you need to explain why you disagree with the points awarded for each activity you disagree with, giving examples of what happened last time you tried to do the activity. It is also a good idea to complete a diary of your day to day activities.

Most MR decisions do come back the same and then the next action is to go to tribunal. Be aware there are long waiting times for tribunals in sone areas with some taking longer than 12 months.

Whatever you decide to do I wish you luck and we are always here to offer advice and support 

• emmac7609
    Thank you. It does mean a lot knowing that this community exists and people are here to help 
  • pollyanna1052
    pollyanna1052 Community member Posts: 2,032 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi Emma, a lot of people feel their reports are far from accurate.

I hope you do go for an MR and tribunal if necessary.

Hang in there chick xx
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Listener
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Juliec1966
    Juliec1966 Community member Posts: 5 Listener
    Hi everyone I'm new here, I'm reading as people got their reports from the assessor? How? I got refused pip with only 2 points on the whole of the claim! My appointment time was 9-11 home assessment, she turned up at 10.35 complaining she was late because her laptop was down so she had to write everything on paper. The questions she asked imo was ridiculous, i.e. When watching tv what do u snack on? Can u get from room to room in ur house. 
    She also stated I can walk 50mtrs but no more than 200, she didn't even see me walk as my daughter opened the door. 
  • poppy123456
    Hi everyone I'm new here, I'm reading as people got their reports from the assessor? How? I got refused pip with only 2 points on the whole of the claim! My appointment time was 9-11 home assessment, she turned up at 10.35 complaining she was late because her laptop was down so she had to write everything on paper. The questions she asked imo was ridiculous, i.e. When watching tv what do u snack on? Can u get from room to room in ur house. 
    She also stated I can walk 50mtrs but no more than 200, she didn't even see me walk as my daughter opened the door. 

HI and welcome,

You need to ring DWP to request a copy of the report.

You have 1 month from the date of the decision to request the mandatory reconsideration (MR) you should put this in writing stating where you think you should have scored those points and your reasons why. Then add a couple of real life examples of what happened the last time you attempted that activity for each descriptor that applies to you.

The reason they ask those questions is because they are trying to get a picture of how your conditions affect you. It's all part of the assessment process.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Juliec1966
    So what I snack on shows how my disability effects me?
  • Juliec1966
    I have put in for a mr welfare rights did it for me, I got my breakdown with the points awarded is this the assessment report people are talking about or can I request the report she sent to dwp?
  • poppy123456
    I have put in for a mr welfare rights did it for me, I got my breakdown with the points awarded is this the assessment report people are talking about or can I request the report she sent to dwp?

The assessment report goes into a lot more detail than the decision letter. You need to ring DWP to request it, it's called PA4 report.
  • Juliec1966
    Thank you, I didn't even know u could request this
  • poppy123456
    You're welcome. If it gets to Tribunal (most do) then it should be in the bundle that you will receive.
  • Juliec1966
    I am terrified of the tribuneral, what am I to expect?
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    A tribunal is usually a panel of 3 a judge a doctor and a disability advisor. AN employee from DWP may attend but often they dont . You will be asked questions around the things you disagree with and about your condition and how it affects you . 

It is all about how you were at time of assessment and not how you are when tribunal is heard.

You will have plenty of time to prepare as waiting times can be in excess of 12 months 

You can take someone with you but unless you have a representative you must answer the questions

It is lot less formal than court may seem 
  • poppy123456
    janer1967 said:
    A tribunal is usually a panel of 3 a judge a doctor and a disability advisor. AN employee from DWP may attend but often they dont . You will be asked questions around the things you disagree with and about your condition and how it affects you . 

It is all about how you were at time of assessment and not how you are when tribunal is heard.

You will have plenty of time to prepare as waiting times can be in excess of 12 months 

You can take someone with you but unless you have a representative you must answer the questions

It is lot less formal than court may seem 

Hi,

A representative will not be able to answer any questions for the claimant during a hearing. They are there to present the case only. A claimant will have to answer the questions theirself, unless they have an appointee and then the appointee with be able to answer all questions.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.