Work focussed interview but unfit for work?! — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Work focussed interview but unfit for work?!

lexywg
lexywg Community member Posts: 2 Listener
edited March 2020 in Universal Credit (UC)
hello ... yesterday I had my work capability assessment, the assessor deemed me unfit for work for 12 - 18 months following a Stroke I had 1 year ago (she didn't say which group) she told me I wouldn't have to attend anything else and there would be no pressure, I told my work coach today via the journal as I have a work focussed interview on Monday. He said I still need to attend it and will have to attend every 3 months to see what i'm doing to get back into work. I looked at the list of things i'm expected to do in these interviews and I am unable due to my cognitive difficulties, the exact reason i've been found unfit to work ... so should I really be attending these interviews or is it another flaw to the system? im so confused as to why?! Anyone else experienced this?

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,357 Disability Gamechanger
    HI and welcome,

I'm unsure why you were told this during your work capability assessment because that's not their job to do that. They make recommendations in a report which is sent to DWP. Once they receive that report a decision maker will take a look at this as well as any evidence you sent and then make a decision on your claim.

Once a decision's been made a letter will be uploaded onto your journal. There's no timescales how long this will take, it depends on backlog in your area.

You will need to attend all of your appointments until a decision's been made on your claim. If the decision is limited capability for work and work related activity (LCWRA) then you won't have to attend any further appointments and you'll receive an extra £336 per month from the 4th month of your claim.

If the decision is just limited capability for work then you won't have to look for work but you'll need to prepare for work sometime in the future. What will be expected of you will depend on your claimant commitments but could include attending appointments. You won't receive any extra money.

If the decision is fit for work you will need to attend appointments.

Once the decision's been made if you disagree then you have 1 month from that date to request the Mandatory Reconsideration (MR)

Hopefully you won't be waiting to long for a decision. Hope this helps. Good luck.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • lexywg
    lexywg Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    I found info online but couldn't actually get my head around it but you've explained it well.Thank you! hopefully not too long a wait :)
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,357 Disability Gamechanger
    You're welcome.

Wait week and then ring UC to request a copy of the assessment report to be sent to you. This will give you some idea what the decision is likely to be because they mostly go with the report. You'll still need to wait for the decision to be made though. Once you receive it, if you need help to understand it then post back here and i'm sure someone will help you further.

Good luck.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.