PIP text ‘received report’ but I’ve not had an assessment? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

PIP text ‘received report’ but I’ve not had an assessment?

RollingRhino
RollingRhino Community member Posts: 10 Connected
Good morning all, today I received a text message 

“ We've received the written report of your PIP assessment. We will write to you once we've made a decision on your PIP. As a guide you should hear from us within 6 weeks. You don't need to contact us unless any of the details you gave us have changed. Thank you”

However, having no clue as to the processes I’m a bit confused. I have not had an assessment, nor have I provided any additional information by phone or mail beyond that sent in with my application. Is this the phase before I will be asked for a face to face assessment? 

Thanks for any advice/guidance 

Just a regular dad and husband, was active global travelling board level business executive, who had fought cancer, then suddenly struck down. Became severely incapacitated. Chronic pain, lack of muscular control, cramps, fasciculations, muscle wasting etc and so much more on this 14 months of abject misery so far.

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,330 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

You will have had a paper based assessment, which means no face to face assessment was needed because they had enough of information for the paper based assessment. They most likely contacted someone from the list of contacts you may have given in the form you filled out.

Paper based assessments are rare but they do happen.

As the report has now been returned to DWP you can ring and request a copy to be sent to you, if you live in the UK. They mostly go with the report, it's rare to go against it. You will have to wait for a decision though but at least you'll have some idea.

There's no timescales for decisions but hopefully not too long. Good luck.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • RollingRhino
    Thank you for your time poppy. I am somewhat surprised by this result and dare I say, a little nervous. I was of the impression that it was a real fight to get PIP and to prove your case. 

I made every effort to ensure there was adequate responses to all descriptors and supporting evidence from notes, carers/medics including a two page doctors letter of support. 

But if they have found against me (which I really hope not, as I am profoundly disabled and cannot self care or mobilise myself etc.) I would have hoped for the opportunity to show an assessor in my home the realities of my new life. 

Sorry for any pessimism, things are just so tough for me and my family at the moment. I am only just 40 I have young kids and we had everything going for us then I got sick. Going from able bodied global travelling executive to being lifted and shifted by people is a tough gig I’m not doing so well dealing with ?

I am just surprised and worried my application hasn’t been treated as the majority are. It may well be that all will be fine and it was obvious to the assessors I needed support, but I haven’t got it in me to fight if they have made a negative decision. With so much of life a battle these days I guess I am worried this will be another challenge as I hasn’t gone the more typical route but I guess only time will tell. I don’t feel too comfortable obtaining the report. 

Sorry again for the negativity... 
    Just a regular dad and husband, was active global travelling board level business executive, who had fought cancer, then suddenly struck down. Became severely incapacitated. Chronic pain, lack of muscular control, cramps, fasciculations, muscle wasting etc and so much more on this 14 months of abject misery so far.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,330 Disability Gamechanger
    You're welcome,

In my opinion a paper based assessment can only be a good thing, not negative. You have mostly likely read a lot of bad stories, which is only understandable on an internet forum. It's natural if someone's had a decision in their favour they won't post on a forum because they have no questions to ask, so we don't hear their story.

Lots of people successfully claim PIP without any problems at all and i'm sure you'll be one of them.

Please let us know the outcome, if you don't mind.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @RollingRhino - & welcome to the community. I see you've had some great advice above, which I'm sure is helpful. I'm sorry to read about the problems you're facing, & wish you a successful outcome at least as regards PIP.
    There are many of us here with diverse disabilities, but we do try to support each other. You are now a member of this great community, so do talk here any time, & say if we can help in any way.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello and welcome to the community, I totally empathise with you as I also went from being very independent career woman with a young child and own home to overnight becoming disabled , unable to work and provide for us both and losing our home. However 2 years on I am niow adjusted to our life and my son is too.

I have claimed for PIP and had a review and both were positive results with the review being paper based, as said above there are lots of successful claims its just that we don't hear of them

Good luck and keep us updated 

• RollingRhino
    Thanks for the kind welcomes and sharing of experience/knowledge it really is appreciated :smile:

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.