Esa medical assessment — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Esa medical assessment

ponies
ponies Community member Posts: 119 Courageous
Would you get any points for being Claustrophobic, although they didn’t ask my friend any questions about it

Comments

• ponies
    My friend went for ESA Assessment and wasn’t asked anything about her Claustrophobia, which is one of the reasons She’s anxious. When She wanted to talk about it, the Health Assessor, said he wasn’t going to ask her about it. Is this a normal procedure 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,338 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

Yes, they don't always ask questions about all conditions if they have enough of information there will be no need to ask any questions. There's only a limited time for these assessments and they are there to gather extra information, if it's needed.

I have 3 different conditions and during my last work capability assessment they focused on just the one condition. This is because they knew which descriptor to focus on and for me it was the mobilising one and this is what kept me in the support group.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • ponies
    Thank you Poppy123456
    She was asked questions on her Anxiety & Depression 
    She just thought it a bit odd, not asking her about her Claustrophobia 
  • poppy123456
    No problem. It's perfectly normal to focus on certain conditions only. Anxiety and depression would most likely be either rey 29 for WRAG or reg 35 for support group and this is the main route for those with these conditions and Claustrophobia would fall under the same criteria, so no really any need to ask questions regarding that.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • ponies
    Ok thanks so much for your advice 
  • poppy123456
    HI,

The work capability assessment is not about a diagnosis so no you wouldn't receive points for this. I also answered your questions about this the other day. Please tell your friend to try not to worry because they don't always ask you questions about all of your conditions during the assessment.

Here's a link to the other thread asking about this condition. https://community.scope.org.uk/discussion/69532/medical-assessment#latest

• ponies
    can you get any points for being Claustrophobic, even if they didn’t ask you any questions about it. Having been anxious with it most of your life
  • ponies
    Thanks Poppy 
    She’s just been very anxious about the M.A. She had an anxiety attack in the M.A. and doesn’t feel She coped well being asked questions, or expanding on them.
     I ask the Advisor if She could have a couple of minutes to try and compose herself. But He just carried on with the questions. 
  • ponies
    waiting time was 2hours. She stayed because the one before was cancelled by the assessment centre 3wks before when She was on her way to Medical Centre
  • poppy123456
    You're welcome.

I totally understand how anxious it makes us feel, especially when we have to talk about how our conditions affect us. Thankfully the assessment itself is all done now.

I also realise that waiting for the decision is also very stressful too but there's nothing more that can be done until the decision's been made. Your friend could ring DWP to request a copy of the report to be sent to them and this will give them some idea what the decision is likely to be. Other than that all they can do is wait. Hopefully not too long but there's no timescales.
  • ponies
    Thanks Poppy
    I don’t think She up for knowing the outcome as yet. She has been in the Support Group since Oct 18. She wouldn’t know what to do if She’s placed in the Work Group. Wouldn’t know how to do a Mandatory Reconsideration.
  • jack13
    jack13 Community member Posts: 23 Connected
    Hi
    I had my esa assessment today. My assessor read through my diagnosis and told me we will need to talk only about one as she will have enough to write up on others later. Hoping this is a good sign if not its unfair to only concentrate on one
  • poppy123456
    jack13 said:
    Hi
    I had my esa assessment today. My assessor read through my diagnosis and told me we will need to talk only about one as she will have enough to write up on others later. Hoping this is a good sign if not its unfair to only concentrate on one

HI,

It's perfectly normal for them to concentrate on just the one condition. If they have enough of information on other conditions then they have no questions to ask.
  • jack13
    jack13 Community member Posts: 23 Connected
  • ponies
    My friend got her decision letter today regarding her recent W.C.A.
    She was put into the Support Group.
    Just want to know if She can ask for her Medical Assessment Report. Is it ESA85
  • poppy123456
    ponies said:
    My friend got her decision letter today regarding her recent W.C.A.
    She was put into the Support Group.
    Just want to know if She can ask for her Medical Assessment Report. Is it ESA85

Great news. Yes that's what it's called. Do be aware though that waiting times for ringing them right now will be increased greatly due to the current circumstances.
  • ponies
    Yes thought as much.
    she is going to write in to ask for her Medical Assessment Report ESA85 
    thanks again Poppy123456

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.