What does it mean about DWP requesting a full written statement from a tribute? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

What does it mean about DWP requesting a full written statement from a tribute?

Options
capbiker
capbiker Community member Posts: 4 Listener

Last On Monday 13th January, I want to a tribute to appeal DWP rejection to my pip application.  It was really stressful, and afterwards to be told that that I won.  It was a relief for me, but I got told that DWP could appeal the decision.

I just got home from work, and find a letter from DWP.  Stating that they are requesting an written statement of reasons.  To help them to make a decision on if it should appeal or not.  This has really upset me, because the letter doesn't explain in detail what it means.  I know that I won't be getting any pip payments.  I haven't had any payments since November 2018. So I have adjusted with out having it. 

What I don’t know, is this a common thing that DWP do?  Asking for a statement of reason. Or is it something that they do on a low percentage of appeals, that over turned their decision?

What does it mean for me, if they do decide to appeal it at the upper tribute?  Do I have to go through the humiliating process of having to sit in front of strangers again?  And having to answer questions again.  Some of them very personal, and degrading.  That you wouldn’t normally even consider discussing in front of strangers normally. 

What will the upper tribute be looking at exactly, if DWP does appeal it?

How long would it take to hear if DWP is going to appeal the decision, and would I get to know the reason why they are appealing it?

Comments

• wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @bikecap, The DWP have 30 days to request their appeal, just llke you and I the DWP have the right to appeal. So you will have to sit it out. I am glad your budgeting has seen you OK and if all goes well you will should have a large arrears payment. 
  • capbiker
    capbiker Community member Posts: 4 Listener
    Options
    I thought I would provide an update on my above post.

I received an copy of the written statement from the tribute last week.  And this afternoon, I received an telephone call from DWP.  My first thought was, what did they want.  After answering some security questions.  They explained that they have received the requested statement and have accepted the tribute decision.  They will be entering it onto the system. 

They asked me if I have been in prison, hospital or out of the UK since the disability living allowance had stopped.  Back towards the end of 2018.  I confirmed no to those questions.

They confirmed that the award will be back paid to when it was stopped, and I should be getting the money into my bank account within the next 5 working days.  And they will be sending out an letter confirming everything.

It is such a relieve to know that it has been sorted out, for the next 5 years.  But I will have to do it all again then, of which is a bit of a downer.  But at least I know, what they are looking for in the future.
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @capbiker, I'm glad to hear things worked out in the end. :)
    Scope

• donnap79
    donnap79 Community member Posts: 61 Connected
    Options
    Ah I’m so glad this turned out well for u in the end it’s very stressful going threw it and I know that’s a lot of the reason ppl give up going threw it including my family threw the appeal process but it’s nice to hear you had a good out come in the end 
  • Cressida
    Cressida Community member Posts: 1,016 Pioneering
    Options
    I love that these dimwits still ring people and ask the people they’ve called to answer security questions to prove who they are. Wrong way round! 
    @Username_removed I can never understand that! I always query it at the time saying well you called me! It always feels a bit like you are about to be scammed by giving out personal info ?

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.