Can carers allowance be backdated longer than 3 months (attendance allowance) — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Can carers allowance be backdated longer than 3 months (attendance allowance)

frank96
frank96 Community member Posts: 38 Connected
I was just filling out forms for carers allowance with my grandad who cares full time for his wife with dementia. My nan has been in receipt of attendance allowance for a year now and my grandad has cared for her for several but was unaware such benefits existed. Any chance the dwp will backdate from the start of the attendance allowance claim as we have put that as the date we wish the claim to start from?

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,330 Disability Gamechanger
    HI,

In this case no it can only be backdated for 3 months. This is because she's been claiming the AA for a year already. Do also be aware that the actual carers allowance can't be paid because it's classed as an overlapping benefit if a person's claiming state pension. They may have an underlying entitlement to it though.

Also one other thing, if both your grandparents are claiming a qualifying benefit such as AA, DLA mid/high rate care or PIP daily living, if they have no other person over the age of 18 living with them then they will be entitled to claim severe disability premium in with pension credit. If your Grandfather claims Carer Allowance then it will affect the SDP.

Hope this helps.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @frank96, is there anything else we can do to help. :)
    Scope

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.